Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Residential Steam Heat Vent Spitting Water.

Corey104
Corey104 Member Posts: 2
The other day, i heard a strange noise where my vents on my residential steam system vents and noticed that one of the Vents (See red arrow) was spitting water out along with air. I don't think this is normal. Two things here. If I replace the vent will that stop the water from spitting out? Also is it really a vent and where can I purchase a replacement? As you may have guessed i am not have the greatest knowledge on steam heat.

Comments

• Corey104
    Corey104 Member Posts: 2
    See attached for picture of where water is spitting out.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    No, it is not normal. That said, before someone else chimes in, it looks as though that is -- or was -- intended to be a main vent, and it's poorly placed and even if it was working well, it's nowhere near big enough for a modern system. OK. That's off my mind.

To select a proper replacement, you -- or we -- need to know how many feet of pipe are between that vent and the boiler, and how big that pipe is. Actually getting the replacement won't be hard -- even Amazon has them, although for a variety of reasons I prefer Supply House.

However, if it is spitting water, you may have other -- seemingly unrelated -- problems: too much pressure, or not enough slope on that pipe. Since steam isn't your thing, perhaps you could post a picture of the front of the boiler, with the controls? And another, if you can identify it, with the pressure control in detail?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England