Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best month to start requesting A/C quotes

DJD775
DJD775 Member Posts: 249
I live in Rhode Island and need an attic central A/C system replaced. When do you professionals prefer to start quoting A/C replacements and install A/C's in this region?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Now is good...mild winter.
    steve
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Ah... start when you decide you want to do it? There are no Presidents' Day sales, so far as I'm aware...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Maybe things differ in your area when things are slower for the contractor, in which case an AC specific company I'd think anytime during the later fall/winter would be prime time. Building trades always wind up in spring (around here anyway) so if you wait til then there may be a significant wait and/or upcharge to get you in the schedule. Personally my prices are the same year-round. From about May to December of 2019 I was at least a month behind at all times for new installs but my price is my price, I quoted 6 new boilers last week at the same rate as I would have last year during the rush.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    By me, a lot of HVAC companies do discounts of some type in the winter to keep the train moving during the slow season.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Now

If you have oil or propane heat there may be big rebates if you go Heat Pump. Check your local RI rebates
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • DJD775
    I'm not too concerned about a discount, although that would be nice. I would like to catch contractors in between the heating and cooling season. Seems like starting the search soon isn't a bad idea.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Sooner you get in line, the sooner it gets installed. If your systems fails, being in line can get you bumped to the front... especially if you have your system serviced regularly of use that company for all your repair work.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    If it's in a attic, now.
  • Handy_Andy
    Handy_Andy Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2020
    If they are a reputable company any month is good to get a quote.
    Be sure of one thing though.
    Make sure it is written into the contract that the company send someone back to perform a start up on the indoor and outdoor units.By start up I mean they will come back and ensure air flow is proper,also gas pressure is to factory specs etc...this will ensure that your equipment will last for the suggested amount of time the manufacturer sets.I have gone back on alot of systems that something like a heat exchanger for example has failed due to gas pressure being to high.Or outside, early compressor failures due to incorrect refrigerant charge.
    So bottom line.
    Whatever company you choose make sure they do a start up and its documented!
  • DJD775
    Good point about getting the startup in writing.