Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lockout alarm A01 ignit error - Utica boiler

NickB2005
NickB2005 Member Posts: 44
Hi, I got the A01 ignit error code on my Utica boiler today. I lost power Friday for 3 hours not sure if it has anything to do with that and not sure if it’s been like this since Friday. I seem to have heat still though? I hit reset today and it popped back to normal and then an hour later went back to the code, but I turned my heat up (ecobee 3) and it just went back to operating normal without having to press the reset button.

My plumber said it’s probably the sensor that needs to be cleaned and he said he’d walk me through it on the phone as it’s a 3 min fix.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Comments

• NickB2005
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Sounds like you plumber knows what to do
  • NickB2005
    > @EBEBRATT-Ed said:
    > Sounds like you plumber knows what to do

Is that what you think is the issue? He wants to walk me through it on the phone. I just don’t want to mess something up.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    edited February 2020
    If he's trying to get you to clean the flame rod, you need to be careful not to tear the gasket when removing it. It's best to have a small tube of RTV caulk on hand before attempting it.

Also: use a dollar bill to clean it, not sand paper or anything abrasive.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • NickB2005
    > @Ironman said:
    > If he's trying to get you to clean the flame rod, you need to be careful not to tear the gasket when removing it. It's best to have a small tube of RTV caulk on hand before attempting it.
    >
    > Also: use a dollar bill to clean it, not sand paper or anything abrasive.

He said something about the heat sensor? He said cleaning that will fix the issue. I woke up this morning with no heat so I hit reset again and it got the heat going again and still seems to be working.
  • Ironman
    From your description, it sounds like the flame sensing rod. Cleaning them is normal maintenance and the first step after confirming proper gas supply pressure. In this case, that has to be assumed for the moment since you likely don't have a manometer or the training of its use.
    Bob Boan
    NickB2005
  • NickB2005
    > @Ironman said:
    > From your description, it sounds like the flame sensing rod. Cleaning them is normal maintenance and the first step after confirming proper gas supply pressure. In this case, that has to be assumed for the moment since you likely don't have a manometer or the training of its use.

Thanks! Probably better I just call someone in to make sure it’s done right. My plumber is away for the winter so that’s why he offered to walk me through it on the phone.
  • Ironman
    It's very simple to do: only two screws hold it in.

Bob Boan
  • NickB2005
    Oh, that isn’t bad. So, how would I clean it after taking out the 2 screws? Also, I assume I’d have to shut off the whole heating system prior to opening it?
  • Ironman
    edited February 2020
    Just turn the power off at the boiler switch. The rod pulls straight out in the direction that it’s pointing. Wipe it good with a dollar bill and re-install it.
    The RTV is in case the gasket splits.
    Bob Boan
    NickB2005