Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Finally, my own system

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
This one was really fun, a labor of love. Took my time between office work and still have a ton of crawlspace work to do. I’ll also use it for training purposes. That’s why I have so many thermometers and pressure gauges.
Steve Minnich
mattmia2SuperTechJR_NHratioGroundUpkcoppSolid_Fuel_Man

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Very nice, @Steve Minnich ! You're going to have fun with that -- enough space and doodads to really be able to point out what's going on where. I had a setup sort of along the same line of thinking years ago, when I was designing water and wastewater plants. Wasted a lot of time fiddling with things to see what happens...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Tinman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Very nice @Steve Minnich

That's museum quality!!
    Tinman
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    why the bypass around the pumps?
  • Tinman
    edited February 2020
    @Paul Pollets When we design, we do the math and come up with a theoretical head and flow for each zone. I added the gauges in parallel with the circs and the Caleffi Quick Setters to see how close I can get the actual data to the data in theory.

Steve Minnich
    JR_NH
  • Tinman
    So, they're really not bypasses.
    Steve Minnich
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,136
    I think it's fantastic. Reminds me of my boiler at home with all the gauges and circuit setters. It does appear like your dirtmag is missing the magnet?
    Tinman
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    I like the expansion tank hanger, is that a one off?
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    ratio
  • Tinman
    @SuperTech It’s there. I spun it around.
    Steve Minnich
    SuperTech
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    One word sweet peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    Tinman
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Grallert said:

I like the expansion tank hanger, is that a one off?

I think it's one of these...
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/97975-Flamco-Product-Overview.pdf
    steve
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    @STEVEusaPA Thanks Steve.
    Steve Minnich
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    Looks good! When this fractured ankle heals up I'm going to be doing something very similar in my own home, with far too many doodads. I have never used the Caleffi hydrosep before, that bung on the front near the top- is that threaded for a gauge or what is it?
  • Tinman
    @GroundUp - You can put a gauge there if you want to. I got the Caleffi well for a sensor. Pretty sure that's a straight, not tapered thread.
    Steve Minnich
    GroundUp
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 281
    Looks good. Gotta ask, if it is used for teaching why use pro-press? Don't say time..
  • Tinman
    I'm not sure what one has to do with the other? There all kinds of methods of piping available. It made sense to me to go with something that was forward thinking.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman

That said, if someone wants to learn how to solder I'd be happy to teach them.
    Steve Minnich
    STEVEusaPA
  • BDR529
    I'm old. Everyone seems to have a better mouse trap these days. learn the skill before the short-cut.
  • Tinman
    This is the very first job I did completely with pressing; only used it for service before. I'm 60, have COPD, and choose not to breathe in soldering fumes anymore after 40 years of doing so.
    Steve Minnich
  • BDR529
    I completely agree. Isn't getting older a joy?
    Feel that some of the skill has been taken out of the trade.

To think some will never know the sting of finding a cut on the hand with some flux. Darn shame.
    SeanBeans
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506

That said, if someone wants to learn how to solder I'd be happy to teach them...

Where do I sign up? Seriously...

steve
    Tinman
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    BDR529 said:

...Isn't getting older a joy?..

Much more joyful than the alternative. :)