Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recirculating Pump Orientation

Hi all -

Homeowner here. I put in a water recirculating pump yesterday. Taco 006-e3. I just caught a line in the instructions saying the motor must be installed in the horizontal position. Does horizontal position mean to put it on a vertical water line - like in the picture? Of course I put mine on a horizontal line and I'm not sure I have the space to switch it.

What's the reason for the orientation having to be this way?

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,134
    I believe it's because wet rotor circulators use water for lubrication and that orientation is best for the motor.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,885
    It's for lubrication and wear, and the pipe direction does not matter as long as the shaft in the motor is horizontal
    Zman
  • trivetman
    trivetman Member Posts: 178
    Thanks guys. I kept reading and found I can rotate the motor position relative to the pipe orientation. Already have it repositioned.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 21,975
    I'd be curious how the thermostatic mix valve responds to that piping. I have not seen the cir on the DHW supply like that?
    Maybe some of the drawing is missing, I don't see a loop for the circ?

Typically you need a bypass to the tank from the recirc line with and adjustable balance valve.

If you find the temperature in the HW goes too high or low it could be that piping and mix valve relationship.

Perhaps the circulator has some logic via the sensor and SmartPlug to prevent temperature droop or creep.

Keep an eye on HW temperature after a period of non use, like first draw in the morning.

Here is the correct piping for recirculation with a 3 way thermostatic. The SmartPlug may render this piping obsolete.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • trivetman
    Yes the drawing is incomplete. It comes with a crossover valve under the sink to circulate back through the cold line. A retrofit for when you can’t install a return line. After one day of operation I am very happy to have done it. I now no longer have to wait 3 minutes for hot water to wash my hands!
    SteveSan
  • MCTFra
    MCTFra Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2022
    trivetman said:

Yes the drawing is incomplete. It comes with a crossover valve under the sink to circulate back through the cold line. A retrofit for this you can’t install a return line. After one day of operation I am very happy to have done it. I now no longer have to wait 3 minutes for hot water to wash my hands!

Sorry but the motor rotation is the only possible reason?
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 549
    @MCTFra the OP didn't say the system wasn't working before, just curious as to the orientation of the motor on the 006e3 circ. Yes, we want the motor on the horizontal plane for the proper lubrication and cooling of the bearing internal. Pointing the motor vertically up to the ceiling has the chance of air settling inside and not providing the proper lubrication to the top bearing, pointing down to the floor has the chance of sediment of settling. They will work in those positions, but we want to see as long a life as possible.
    As for the rest of the picture.....

Dave H.
    Dave H
  • trivetman
    Been working great since February when I installed it!!