Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help or Advice

Ace1224
Ace1224 Member Posts: 3
I have a buderus gb142 boiler and it stopped working I called an HVAC company to come out and diagnose the problem. While the man was here he said this may be dangerous but it will be fine and pulled out some wires and started putting them in other areas which then all of a sudden blew up my hot water circulator, black smoke started coming out of it and he immediately turned the power switch off so it wouldn't catch fire. In my mind he short circuited the hot water circulator and that's what caused it to blow up. In this process he then said that part was bad and that my control board was bad. In my opinion they were both working before he showed up and he happened to break them. I was then upstairs and he happened to get the heat working on the first floor but couldn't get it working on the second floor. He tells me to hire a plumber because he thinks I have a frozen pipe on the second floor. I find it very odd that I have running water and it has been between 20 degrees and 50 degrees all week and if I had a frozen pipe it would of either thawed or burst neither of which have happened.

So my questions to everyone are-

1. Should I be responsible for replacing the Hot Water Circulator and Control Board when he was playing with wires and short circuited them causing them to break? Or should I call his manager and let them know he is the one who broke these parts.
2. Can the heat work on the first floor if the control board was actually gone in my boiler or is he just trying to get me for more money?
3. Can you have frozen pipes when your water runs and it has been warm enough for it to thaw and there have been no burst pipes? What else could cause the water to not run to the second floor?
4. I paid this company a $99 dollar diagnostic fee and I don't believe they actually diagnosed the issue and ended up just causing more issues which cost me another $165 for extra time I guess when I never agreed to any more money then the $99

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    Sounds to me like you got had. Whether you can do anything about it is another question. That said, you now need to get someone out there who actually knows what he or she is doing to get it fixed... have you checked "Find a Contractor" above?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ratiomattmia2SuperTech
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Well some thing was wrong or you would have not called for help. Maybe you had a bad board that would not power the pump. Maybe he bypassed the board and then the pump failed. But then again he should have been able to explain everything he did so that you would understand.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    No mater what he found the sparks shouldn't have been flying.

I suspect he doesn't know what he's doing.

Call his boss and make them eat it.

Check "find a contractor" on this site
    mattmia2SuperTech
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    If the board was bad he should have easily been able to tell by using a voltmeter to see if it was sending 120 volts to the circulator. If the circulator was grounded out to the point of smoking, he should have been able to check if the windings are shorted to ground.
    Swapping wires around and randomly jumping things out is not proper troubleshooting. He shouldn't have done anything that cost you anything above the diagnostic charge without your consent.