Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ruptured Heating Lines

Options
mepeter
mepeter Member Posts: 1
edited December 2019 in Pipe Deterioration
60-year-old house. Several Ruptured Heating Lines - They appeared to have been repaired, but water slowly leaking

A friend of my friend said something to this effect -- Finishes are saturated -- and can no longer withstand the weight. I can't remember the details. I would like to know what he meant by this
"Finishes are saturated and can no longer withstand the weight? Weight of the ceiling? floors? or?
Thanks

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,292
    Options
    Hello, I can only guess, but am guessing he meant that when finishes like plaster or drywall get soaked, they lose their structural capabilities and basically turn to mush. They can no longer even hold up their own weight. Clearly it's time to find and fix those leaks!

Yours, Larry
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    If you have slow leaking water something was not repaired correctly. open the ceilings and find the leaks.

Jake
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    If it is either sheetrock, plaster board, or true plaster which has gotten soaked... good luck. Sometimes plaster if it was dried quickly (that is, someone found the leak and fixed it fast) will survive. Otherwise, it will fail unpredictably. If it is either sheetrock or modern plaster board, it must be replaced. There's no fix to it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England