Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HTP EFT Combi Wall issue

Hi, I'm a homeowner, and I've never posted here. I'm just looking for some info to help my technician service my boiler. I have an HTP Elite Fire Tube Combi Wall Mount Boiler.

We have to replace the o-ring (36-2) and clip (36-3) that connect the DHW outlet pipe (36) to the DHW inner block (37). (ID numbers from exploded diagram on page 77 of the manual: http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-520.pdf)

That part is very simple. It's getting to the area that's the problem. There's a lot in the way. My technician was looking for some specifics about taking apart the boiler to get to that area. The techs at HTP didn't have any advice at all (!) and there is no service manual for this boiler.

Does anyone have any experience with disassembling and reassembling this boiler. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I don't have any specifics on that boiler but the nature of mod-cons is there are a lot of parts in a small package.

You just have to start on it and dig in, removing what is in the way. I would think HTP would at least be able to point you in the right direction. Did you talk to the factory?
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    I bought into the HTP EFT about 2 years ago. already ripped 2 out. replaced diverting valve on 5 units. Exhaust leaks that resulted in corrosion of all parts within unit on 2 of them. 3 master boards replaced. 1 pinched o ring from factory that blew out when homeowners weren't home. Replacing 1 more over weekend under warranty after 1 heating season. Tech support good, Customer service Dept. Horrendous. Also replaced 2 igniters on 2 different units. HTP sent their "guy" out every install to set combustion, so on and so forth. I have taken these units apart multiple times. Just remove all components in your way. They have "C" style spring clips. A hassle at every turn, trust me. in the boiler cabinet there is a bag go o rings, replace all before putting back together . existing most likely flattened out already. Good Luck
    MattWeiner
  • BillyO
    And the best is HTP won't reimburse for any repairs incurred under warranty. A very expensive lesson learned. I babysitted every boiler. What a nightmare
    MattWeiner
  • MattWeiner
    MattWeiner Member Posts: 5

I don't have any specifics on that boiler but the nature of mod-cons is there are a lot of parts in a small package.

You just have to start on it and dig in, removing what is in the way. I would think HTP would at least be able to point you in the right direction. Did you talk to the factory?

Many conversations with tech support. They just say, "its easy."
  • MattWeiner
    Yeah. Kind of wishing we didn't get this boiler, but here we are. Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice.
  • BillyO
    taking the cross brace off that holds the control display panel frees up some room. its 4 screws, 2 on each side
    MattWeiner
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Might want to invest in some o-rings made of a material more suited to the substances it will be exposed to if they just use something like buma-n at the factory.
    kcoppMattWeiner
  • BillyO
    or cut your losses and rip off wall. going to have years of disgust with this product
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Maybe @Ironman will comment he has a lot of HTP experience, I do not.

I have herd a lot of people bad mouth there equipment but many love it including many on this site
    MattWeiner
  • BillyO
    I have plenty of HTP experience too. Not a great way to spend your time and money babysitting poorly engineered equipment
    MattWeiner
  • BillyO
    All newly installed units with problems. and then it takes 3-5 days to get parts from New Hampshire to Staten Island. No money being made with that product if you want to be in business for profit

MattWeiner
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @BillyO

HTP seems to be 1 brand that people love or hate which is a little strange, to get such wide swings of opinions. Where I used to work the service techs didn't like them at all.
    MattWeiner
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    I wonder that there was ever a boiler manufactured with the service person in mind:)
    Granted components and product failure should be able to be engineered out, for the most part. Things wear, fluid quality, improper installation come into play too often.

But the jacket and box around the components certainly could be engineered to be more service friendly, knowing that all electrical/ mechanical devices can or will need cleaning and service.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    MattWeiner
  • MattWeiner
    Thanks everyone. Shut off the hot water (which is where the leak is) but we still have heat. Parts should arrive Monday. On Tuesday my technician will start digging in there.
  • MattWeiner
    The only thing I wanted to add is I still welcome any hints or advice from people with HTP experience. I understand BillyO's frustration, but I didn't want this to be a HTP hating thread. Just want to get that o ring changed out! Thanks so much!
    kcopp
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    One suggestion I would make it that they typically tell you to use heat-pruf grease on the O-rings to allow them to slide in easier.
    I would use silicone grease to do this instead. I did this once on an HTP contender only to have them fail a few month later. The silicone grease will not damage the gaskets.
    FWIW...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/40610-Product Overview.pdf
  • BillyO
    sorry for the HTP rant guys, just got bit in the butt more than once with this product and had a miserable customer service experience. When I buy into a product I go all in and stay loyal. Just didn't work out with HTP. Thanks for listening tho, Bill
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    We only install the UFT and have had minimal issues: one unit had a board that wouldn't recognize a domestic call and also had the broken flapper issue. Other than that, no problems with the equipment and we've installed dozens.

The older models with Gianonni heat exchangers are another story.

We also don't install combis unless they fit the application, which is rare for us. We go with indirects most always.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.