Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco 506 & 504 Wiring for primary circulator pump

pghrich
pghrich Member Posts: 9
I had this system re-piped to 2" and installed a primary circulator pump. The problem that I have is that i cant get both the 506 & 504 to turn on the pump when the thermostats call for heat. The one will work but, not the other. Is this a dip switch setting issue?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    edited January 2020
    A couple of things:
    1. how are you calling the boiler on without the end switches?
    2. you a jumper on "ZC to ZR" to power the pumps unless the system has an indirect with a pump controlled by the boiler.
    3. you also need to connect the "Net" terminals between the panels.

Never mind about the first question. I see you're using a tankless water heater instead of a boiler. That's a mistake.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • duffy_4
    duffy_4 Member Posts: 79
    I think your pressure reducing/back flow valve might be installed incorrectly.
    STEVEusaPAIronmanSuperTech
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,842
    Is the Pri / Sec piping correct???
  • pghrich
    To make this work, it looks to me that the Primary Circuit for the primary circulator need to be paralleled from one board to the other. These are on two different 20a circuits.

Is their a way to have the SR506 board tell the SR504 to turn this pump on and off without do the above? Thanks.
  • Ironman
    pghrich said:

To make this work, it looks to me that the Primary Circuit for the primary circulator need to be paralleled from one board to the other. These are on two different 20a circuits.

Is their a way to have the SR506 board tell the SR504 to turn this pump on and off without do the above? Thanks.

As I explained above, the "Net" terminals need to be connected.
    Bob Boan
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Why all the black wires on neutral, and white on hot?
    Yes bac
    steve
    Ironman
  • Ironman

Why all the black wires on neutral, and white on hot?
    Yes bac

Good eye, Steve.
    Bob Boan
  • pghrich
    Hooked up net 1 and 2. Still not turning on the main pump just the zone pump.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    edited January 2020
    I think (I could be wrong) I would get another relay a SR501.
    Wire the end switch from the other relays into the TT on the new Sr 501 relay.
    Wire the primary circ into that single Sr relay.
    When any of the other zones are activated that will turn on that circ pump and thereby start flow and that flow will fire the Tankless WH...
    A Boiler would have had that integrated into it.
  • Ironman
    edited January 2020
    pghrich said:

Hooked up net 1 and 2. Still not turning on the main pump just the zone pump.

Did you install the jumper between "ZC &ZR" and change the polarity on the hot and neutral terminals like Steve pointed out?
    Bob Boan
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    Did you ever get this working the proper way?
  • pghrich
    Yes, I had to connect the two controllers so that they were on the same circuit instead of two circuits. Once that was complete, we series-ed the main pump between the two controllers allowing for both controllers to call to turn on the primary pump.

These were connected to the primary pump controller circuit, not the ZC and ZR terminals or the net terminals.

TACO tech support was a great help and had me up and running within 30 min. Thanks for the follow up.
    SteveSankcopp