Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler controls

mitchpaulb
mitchpaulb Member Posts: 4
edited January 2020 in Thermostats and Controls
Hey guys,
So I have put in a Burnham K2 120 with Sage 2.2 and there is a Sage zone pump control.
There is two thermostats, so two zones and 3 zone pumps ( two are on the same zone but wire into the controller 1, 2 and 3).
My question is this, I want to control pump 1 and 2 on the first thermostat and control pump 1, 2 and 3 with thermostat 2.
Looking for ideas on how to make that work?
The reason for doing it this way is the 3rd pump is for a small zone and I want to activate the other zone so there is no short cycle of the system.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    There are several pumps in the system that work at different times for different reasons. There is a Boiler Pump that makes sure the boiler has proper circulation through the SMALL heat exchanger of the boiler. There is a system pump that circulated the water through the radiation system. There may be a DHW pump to move heat to an indirect hot water tank for Domestic hot water. The control system within the boiler should already operate the proper pumps at the proper time.

As far as Zones. I'm trying to think what zone 1 system pump and zone 2 system pump MUST operate on a call for heat from zone 2 thermostat? But Zone 1 thermostat needs only operate for zone 1? Perhaps I am not understanding your question.

Can you make a primitive drawing of the pump location
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • mitchpaulb
    Ed
    Thanks for the response. I revised my original post with a photo. Hope that makes it a bit clearer.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited January 2020
    You should be able to wire the t-stats in parallel like this.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    STEVEusaPA
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    That's attractive, @Zman , but if you follow the wiring through you will note that wired that way either thermostat will operate all three zones. Not what's wanted.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Zman
    @Jamie Hall I see now that you are correct. Too good to be true. Probably need to throw a DPDT relay with a 24 vac coil into the mix to isolate the P1 and P2.
    Albert Einstein
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    Zman said:

@Jamie Hall I see now that you are correct. Too good to be true. Probably need to throw a DPDT relay with a 24 vac coil into the mix to isolate the P1 and P2.

Yeah. That was my first thought, too... sigh. Oh well.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mitchpaulb
    Hey guys
    Could you supply the t-stat R(24vac) off just one of the thermostat zones and run the W from the thermostat back to the thermostat zones you want to control.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Looks like a failed attempt at primary secondary piping? The boiler looks to be via closely spaced tees, but no actual primary loop, if the drawing is correct?

Maybe this was the intent? It should be doable with the boiler circuit powered by the boiler relay and a 2 zone relay box for the zone circulators.

If ever you need multiple circulators with different logic, The Caleffi switching relays give you a contact that can be latched or un-latched to the other zone outputs zone 1. Works well if you have 3 circulators needed for a loop type P/S.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Zman
    If you wire pump 1 and 2 to the primary relay and pump 3 to the pump 2 relay it should work. Wire the t-stats to zones 1 and 2.
    Albert Einstein
  • mitchpaulb
    Thank you guys.
    Thanks Zman