Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ULS Bio Diesel

SlamDunk
SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,571
If an oil company delivers # 2 ULS bio diesel, how does it effect the burner's combustion analysis? Should I expect to see anything dramatic?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    Probably nothing dramatic in the combustion analysis... but, depending on the age of the various components, you may see some rather dramatic deterioration of various seals over time... also the stuff picks up water and sludges up under some conditions.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SlamDunk
  • SlamDunk
    It is a brand new furnace and chances are when I tuned the burner, it was on this blend. Apparently in NYC that is all you can get. Learn something new every day.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    ULSD itself will help prevent the formation of sulfur oxide, which will deteriorate a cast iron block and terra cotta lined chimney.
    A 5% bio blend is pretty much the norm on Long Island. I haven't seen too many issues with it.
    SlamDunknewagedawn
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 281
    Analysis not much. In Ma I've seen upwards of 80%! Bio (it is stated on the delivery ticket) All driven by greed and that is a long story. It made the news last winter, WBZ. Can be found on youtube. Classic greed story.

Greater that 20% (because it is usually 40%) you get carbon issues, leaky pump seals,tanks,tiger loops ect..

Fuel that sits, i.e. warm air. Stratification/fungus
    Outside tank in the sun fungus that grows like a petri dish.

newagedawn
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    the smell on maintenance is terrible,its disgusting, these jokers need to do more research than to just pump it in your system as gospel, just saying i hope it doesnt become popular and someone finds out its toxic or something,lol, need more forward thinking like solar powered boilers and furnaces, now thats what im talking about
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @newagedawn said:
    > the smell on maintenance is terrible,its disgusting, these jokers need to do more research than to just pump it in your system as gospel, just saying i hope it doesnt become popular and someone finds out its toxic or something,lol, need more forward thinking like solar powered boilers and furnaces, now thats what im talking about

Kind of like an Impossible Whopper. Who knows the long term effects? I'm not gonna be a Guinea pig.

BTW, Welcome back!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I've seen no problems with up to 5%. Cleans the tank, filters/strainers dirtier the first 5 years or so. Definitely needs indoor tank treatment once a year, outside tanks should be treated with every fill up as bio, and the water in bio could potentially freeze starting below 32°.
    I've noticed no 'smell'.
    steve
  • SlamDunk
    what kind of treatment?
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    If you are worried about water, adding 1% methyl hydrate (alcohol) will bring the water into solution so it can be turned to steam when the oil burns.