Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace/Central Air what brands to consider & avoid

I have a second home with a Ruud hvac system that has reached or passed the 25 year mark and I am interested in replacing it ,more as a precaution than a necessity, and wanted to see what brands to consider and which ones to avoid. It is in a rural area so I will have to cast a net pretty far for contractors and I have no idea what brands they will offer. I would happily go for another Ruud if it is quoted but is today's Ruud as good as the one I have? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Is existing furnace 80 or 90%

Many here, including me, would say to avoid anything with MicroChannel coils inside or out.
    SuperTech
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    It was installed in late 80's early 90's so I would say 80%. Never heard of micro channels. Is this for the A/C part?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Micro Channel coils referred are the new concept in AC inside and outside coils. Your old system probably has copper tube with aluminum fins.
    Micro Channel coils are all aluminum and look like the AC coil in front of the radiator your car.
    Some have had early leakers, I don't know what you do with hail damage other than replace and also they do not always hold enough refrigerant to pump down the complete charge into it if you had any repairs outside of the AC cond unit.

Cursed by many.....loved by maybe a few.
  • SlamDunk
    Good to know! Are there manufacturers that dont use them?

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    Rheem/Ruud always served me well. On installations and servicing.
    If your current furnace is vented into a chimney, its 80% atmospheric.
    If the vent is PVC or polypropylene, its 90% or better.
    Either way, if you can swing a 90%+ , go for it.

Get a heat loss calculation done and worry more about the contractor than the equipment. The best system installed by Moe, Larry, and Curly isn't the best.
  • Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    I had a really good run with York equipment. Built well with service in mind. Made for quick, clean installs. And the price was on the lower end. Never had a problem with microchannel coils. Though I agree they are not easily repairable. They clean much easier.

I agree with HVACNUT, heat calc is a must. Almost very system I put in is a size or two smaller than the one I took out.
  • SlamDunk
    edited January 2020
    We only use the house half a dozen times a year so 80% would do. I did a heat load just for fun and it matched the unit we have. We never had an issue heating or cooling. I appreciate the responses & wish everyone a healthy and prosperous New Year!
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    We have a ton of 25+ year old Rheem 90+ furnaces out there. They keep chugging along. Maybe change an inducer, board, and blower motor on poorly maintained units. All fairly inexpensive as they come. Most had spark ignition by the early 90s and rarely fail. HSI seem to need ignitors every 10-15 years or so and take an extra 15-20 seconds to light.

We sell Rheem but service all brands. The r96t with x13 is two stage and a great value.

I like servicing the Rheems a lot and haven’t had any issues not self inducer. Flooded units or installer error.

The Lennox heat pumps at my house are crazy loud for mid range units and ahu are really wide and tall for a lower tonnage.

York/luxaire is descent.

Trane and Carrier I dread working on. Have some quirks and generic replacement parts rarely work and simple parts often cost a lot more. Reliability seems no better than the others.

My boss sold ICP for a while (Keepright). I would avoid them. Easy to service but not as reliable as Rheem.
    SlamDunk
  • motoguy128
    Rheem AC units have plastic bases are not too large (taller than the old green rectangles). And easy to work on. Not as quiet as mid or upper range carriers but better than similar prices Lennox and trane units.

Goodman are ok but overall build quality is clearly a notch down. Fins are so thin a garden hose will fold them over easy.
    SlamDunk
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,157
    > @motoguy128 said:
    > Rheem AC units have plastic bases are not too large (taller than the old green rectangles). And easy to work on. Not as quiet as mid or upper range carriers but better than similar prices Lennox and trane units.
    >
    > Goodman are ok but overall build quality is clearly a notch down. Fins are so thin a garden hose will fold them over easy.

I've actually haven't had much problems with Amana/Goodman. They offer some of the best warranties available. Their quality is much better than it was in the past.
    SlamDunk
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,843
    The name on the trucks are more important then the name on the boxes. If the installing contractor doesn't properly size, pay attention to the details, follow manufactures install instructions & Best Industry practices any unit is doomed to an early death!
  • SlamDunk
    pecmsg said:

The name on the trucks are more important then the name on the boxes. If the installing contractor doesn't properly size, pay attention to the details, follow manufactures install instructions & Best Industry practices any unit is doomed to an early death!

True to a point....
    With my primary residence, I received five quotes for HVAC. One thing I learned from all who quoted was that Goodman's are great, because it keeps them busy. So, I went with a Carrier. so far, no issues in the past five years.
    Now, the Carrier was replacing a Goodman system that I had installed in 1990 which never had an issue. So when I asked about replacing like for like, The general consensus was don't. My point in starting this thread is a brand's quality can change over time.

Not sure I will get both a good contractor AND a Carrier in this area. But I am grateful from what I have learned so far!
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,843
    There is a race to the bottom price with ALL manufactures in direct response to the Walmart Mentality in America. Add to that energy efficiency mandates by our Uncle, NOTHING will last as long as it did.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Personally I see carrier riding their built up history out the door, quality is sliding down the hill.
    And Diakin/Goodman is currently making good strides in the industry. Built a huge plant in Houston TX :smile:
    Time said here again and again, installer is key with any system.
    D
  • motoguy128
    > @pecmsg said:
    > There is a race to the bottom price with ALL manufactures in direct response to the Walmart Mentality in America. Add to that energy efficiency mandates by our Uncle, NOTHING will last as long as it did.

Yup.

Just replaced an Failed inducer on New Years Eve. New one Would only deliver 1.3”. Checked the vent By cutting it apart. Checked heat exchanger again. Nothing.

Replaced it. 1.78”. Yup. DOA out of the box. Guessing bad winding in the motor so it was running slow. No idea.

A 30minute job wasted almost 3 man hours total.

Technology is there tommake a highly serviceable furnace last 40 years. But nobody wants a $3000 furnace when they can get a $1800 one that lasts 25 years.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,632
    A sirometer will quickly tell you if it is spinning at the right speed.