Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smart Thermostat with CPH Options

Options
Kafox15
Kafox15 Member Posts: 99
Hello,

As most of you know, the Nest thermostat is NOT the best option for steam heating systems due to its lack of configurability and tendency to overshoot your setpoint (at least in my case). Unfortunately, its the thermostat that I am currently using but I am looking to switch.

I know the Honeywell VisionPro 8000 is highly recommended on this forum for good reason, but I am hoping to find something a bit simpler thats more suitable for home use. The whole RedLink setup w/ separate internet gateway etc. is a bit much for my taste.

I am looking for something that:
1. Is wifi enabled and has a decent app to go with it
2. Has the ability to "learn" my system and turn off the burner before the setpoint to avoid overshoot
3. Has optional wireless sensors
4. Has adjustable CPH/Deadband settings for steam heat

So far I have been unable to find something that fits the bill. I have been looking at the newer Honeywell smart thermostats like the T9 but according to Honeywell support, this model does not have adjustable CPH. Does anyone own this thermostat that can confirm one way or the other? It pretty much ticks all my other boxes.

Are there other thermostats I am overlooking or am I SOL?

Thanks!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The TH6110W has most of those functions, but why do you need them?
    Steam, like any other hydronic system, works best when the stat is set at one temp and left there. Using setback is actually more costly.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    SuperTech
  • Kafox15
    Options
    Ironman said:

The TH6110W has most of those functions, but why do you need them?
    Steam, like any other hydronic system works best when the stat is set at one temp and left there. Using setback is actually more costly.

Sorry if my post was not entirely clear. While we do set the thermostat lower at night since we like it cooler when we sleep, we keep it at one consistent temp during the day but still have issues with the Nest overshooting the setpoint every time it turns on to bring the room back up to temp. It doesn't just happen when the house is warming back up in the morning.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    That's odd. The Honeywell T6 pro wi-fi that I use has adjustable CPH options, I wonder why they wouldn't include this feature in the T9?
  • Kafox15
    Options
    SuperTech said:

That's odd. The Honeywell T6 pro wi-fi that I use has adjustable CPH options, I wonder why they wouldn't include this feature in the T9?

I don't fully trust honeywell support to have given me the correct info, which is why I was hoping someone here might use this model.

The T10 is the Pro model of the T9 so I am sure that has CPH, but I it uses Redlink which I am trying to avoid. (unless I am misunderstanding how complex redlink is going to make my setup.)
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    The T6 pro doesn't use redlink. That's only for when you can't run a wire to where you want the thermostat. Wifi control through the app is simple and quick to setup. I'd imagine that a T6 pro or T9 should be able to properly accommodate your requirements.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    You should be able to get the manual for the T9 which will tell you what the installer options are. I can't imagine there isn't one for anticipator/cph, but the manual will list the installer options and tell you what you can configure.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    Hmm. There is the guide, it shows it as settings 2000 and 2001 but then says these settings won't show:
    https://customer.resideo.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/33-00000s/33-00478.pdf?_ga=2.232258783.1534813513.1578007390-1361318672.1578007390
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    I never had any redlink issues at a previous home I owned and on 3 thermostats we installed at work this year. Really easy to setup.

I’d go with the T10. Can average multiple sensors including the thermostat or ignore the thermostat.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    RedLINK is pretty straightforward—it's literally just a matter of telling the stat you're adding a device & pressing a button on the gateway. I've had issues twice in the last decade, once when the distance was too far (200+' through warehouse racking) & once when I forgot that another stat was in connect mode.

That said, the 8000 series has a direct-to-WiFi model, TH8320WF (or TH8321WF if you want humidity). Ummm… I think you loose the ability to use RedLINK remote sensors if you go with the WiFi model.

• Kafox15
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

Hmm. There is the guide, it shows it as settings 2000 and 2001 but then says these settings won't show:
    https://customer.resideo.com/resources/techlit/TechLitDocuments/33-00000s/33-00478.pdf?_ga=2.232258783.1534813513.1578007390-1361318672.1578007390

Even still, it says they automatically default to the correct settings based on system type but doesn't explicitly say you can change them after the fact. I may just have to but the T9 to test is out and make sure I can return it if it doesn't work for me.
  • Kjmass1
    Kjmass1 Member Posts: 241
    Options
    Ecobee ticks all of those boxes. Big fan.

Remote sensors that can be configured to average across all the rooms, or disable as necessary (I turn my living room one off when having a fire so the rest of the house still heats).

Great app, can download excel sheets of all data and runtime from website.

No CPH but the swing temp can be adjusted to .5 degrees.

It'll learn your system and knows how long a cycle will take.