Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Single pipe steam pipe radiator heating question.

Adema
Adema Member Posts: 1
Hey I have a single pipe steam heat in the house I just purchased. It has a new Dunkirk(psb-30) boiler installed. I have two radiators one on the first floor and one on the second that don’t really get hot. I replaced the valves on the end with new quick vents but they seem to still get air in them. If I leave them off for a few the radiator will start to get hot but put the vents back in and next day they won’t heat up. Any ideas why when the vent is in it get air in the system?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Steam systems always have air in them anytime the boiler isn't running. The objective of the vent is to release that air when the boiler starts up so that the steam can get in -- and do it at a reasonable rate.

Now... if you have one or two radiators which aren't getting hot enough, there are a number of possibilities. One of the best ways to begin to make peace with your heating system is to get the book "We Got Steam Heat" from this site -- it does an excellent job of explaining how and why steam systems work, and the various kinds, but in laymen's terms.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Make sure the valve on the radiator is fully open, make sure the vents are clean, make sure the radiator is pitched toward the shut off valve. Just for starters