Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

International furnace. HELP!!

jeffg413
jeffg413 Member Posts: 7
I went to fire up my furnace a few weeks ago and found the breaker tripped after not running since last season. I reset and it popped immediately. I went through electival cabinet checked wiring, grounds etc. found nothing out of the ordinar Took service emergency service switch out of the equation and checked wire to switch and from panel into breaker. Again, dealer tripped immediately . Also it’s important to note that the tstat was off so it wasn’t trying to startup. I unplugged the molex from the board and breaker stayed live. I ended up replacing control board, after replacement I energized breaker and turned on stat. Furnace ran for 20 minutes and then popped. Now it’s back to tripping the second I flip the service switch. I’ve had an electrician out who confirmed the breaker and wire was all fine. I do t know where to go from here. I can’t test anything with my meter as I can’t keep the breaker on.
I would appreciate any help you guys can give me.
I am a tech but have never run into this and primarily work on gas/heat pumps.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Is it an electric furnace?
    One simple way is to take all the loads off and then add them back one at a time. If it is electric you can ohm out the element. I'll bet it is either an element or a fan motor.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • jeffg413
    It’s an oil furnace. I’ve pulled leads to both the blower motor and the burner motor. The only success I had was when I replaced the board but like I said it only ran for 20 minutes before tripping breaker again.
  • Zman
    edited November 2019
    This sounds like something obscure. Did a wire get damaged over the summer? Maybe a conduit that was run into or yanked on?
    Do you trust your electrician? It could just be a bad breaker. Switching breakers would confirm.
    Albert Einstein
  • jeffg413
    I trust my electrician but maybe worth having them back. What does t make sense to me is how it ran after board swap. It’s getting cold and I ha e to get this figured out. Thanks for responding.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Possible that motor windings are getting hot and shorting out. Either blower or pump motor.
    Were you struck by lightning over the summer?
    jeffg413
  • Zman
    If you detach the motor and burner wires does it trip the breaker?
    Albert Einstein
    jeffg413
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Did you think of calling your heating oil company and have them send out a tech?
    steve
    Zmanjeffg413
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    or the Smithsonian? :p
  • jeffg413
    Breaker still trips after dicsonecting the motors.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    It's been quite a few years since I worked on one of those. If I recall they're a different bird. I believe the original limits and such are no longer available.
    Whomever has been servicing it may still have some parts, call them.
    It should be inspected if it has been a while.
    D
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    How about the ignition transformer? Did you unplug that and try it....just don't run the pump and flood the chamber.
    jeffg413
  • jeffg413
    So, I was just goi g through everything again and I pulled the molex off the board and breaker stayed on and I got fan to run. Now before that I had pulled the leads off of primary and breaker still popped. I’m starting to suspect the harness. I do t see any broken Wires and all grounds are clean and secure.
  • jeffg413
    It was 1 of 2 safeties . When ohmed out it seemed fine but the safety had cracked and metal was touching the furnace case causing the problem. Never seen it before , hope to never see it again.
    Furnace is back in action
    HVACNUT
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Thanks for the follow-up!

I have to admit, I didn't think of line-voltage safeties or I might have suggested cussing (interesting spelling auto-correct, I decided to leave it in!) checking them forward ground faults.

• jeffg413
    I unplugged the molex plug and ohmed out each pin to ground. 1 side of the safety circuit rang out. Disconnected that safety and jumped it and everything was fine.
    Replaced safety and furnace is up and running.
    ratio