Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This week in oil heat fun.

STEVEusaPA
STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
First set of pics. Heater in a low basement, horizontal unit jammed right up against the interior chimney so you couldn't completely swing the the transformer open. Open return. Not cleaned in 12 years. They smelled oil/soot in the house. Chimney failing, took out a 5 gallon bucket of debis in the chimney. Gonna need at least a liner.

Second set of pics, emergency oil tank replacement:

What do you mean my heat exchanger is cracked? 40 year old, oil-fired downflow Ruud, in a closet, no return duct, no combustion air provided. This was the combustion analysis after the blower kicked on:

steve

Comments

• Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    At least the tank is pretty.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Unbelievable.
    They didn't waste any time jamming crap against the oil tank when it's not complete yet.
    On the first one, did you get that sinking feeling as soon as you pulled up to the house?
  • STEVEusaPA
    The first one I knew would be a mess. LIHEAP customer, never wanted the heater PM'd. There's a gas water heater in that chimney too. They are lucky the debris didn't block that vent.
    Surprisingly, not too sooty. But if I ever have to pull the burner, she's SOL.
    The second one, at least it wasn't one of those old houses where they put the tank in as they were building the house. Walk out basements are the best, right?
    steve
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    My parent's (may they rest in peace) place was just as bad. Those photos and description triggered me. All fixed now but......

Must. Find. Safe. Place.
    Gordo
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    OK here is one for the books.

After 1 year of operation I was called in to replace the oil tank. Turns out the tank was not leaking just needed a flare fitting repair at the tank valve.

But I would not work on this unless I could make it right.

Look in the upper left corner of the furnace !?! :open_mouth:

Here is a close up!

I would cross off my name if I approved this mess too!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    SuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    @EdTheHeaterMan. Are you in the Millville area?
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    That's awesome. Maybe a Picasso fan.
    I came across a set of twinned Burnham's where the installer ran the returns on the floor across the front of the boilers. Solution for them, mount the Riello's upside down. Ah, America.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    @STEVEusaPA Close to Atlantic City. Millville is at the fringe of service area for company that purchased my business
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics