Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HTP VersaHydro Solar whining

Options
jklingel
jklingel Member Posts: 2
I have a 4-yr-old HTP VersaHydro Solar propane mod-con boiler, and it has a loud whine in it periodically. The whine started a year or so after installation. A factory tech, myself, and a boiler pro all recently felt the whine indicated a bad blower fan bearing, so I replaced the blower fan. That was 2 weeks ago. All was fine for 3 days, but the whine started again. It only whines when the blower fan is in the range of 27-29% of the max speed. Also, the boiler will sometimes run quietly in that speed range. A week ago I called a factory tech and he said it sounds like another bad blower fan bearing, or a propane pressure problem. A pro is coming Tuesday to measure the pressure in the manifold as a starting point. Has anyone else had a similar whining problem? No one in my town works on these boilers, so any information/experience I can pass along to the pro will be appreciated, even if the same problem has happened to you on a different brand. Thanks in advance, and I hope I made myself clear. Puzzled in Fairbanks.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Someone needs to do a combustion analysis and tune the boiler properly. Simply guessing and adjusting gas pressure will not fix this.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Contact HTP . We had a unit that we designed for in Maine that had a few issues . First issue was wet gas (propane) , propane guy addressed that . No fan issues on that one . Issue 2 was the 0-10v control on the on board circ was operating below 4 volts at times in a really tight house which created an issue with noise , we addressed that by changing the programmed Delta from 20* to 10* , sped the circ flow up and issue disappeared .

HTP has a device they can send you to be hooked up and monitored remotely by engineering at HTP to assist in identifying issues
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Zman
  • jklingel
    jklingel Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for info in the above replies. I did not reply earlier because I did not get notices of replies. I will have to check on setting that up. I thought I would fish here for suggestions as well as what the HTP tech said, and I have gotten some. Thank you for that. It is very hard to diagnose over the phone or Net. The gas pressures will be checked as soon as I can get info from HTP on what fan speeds constitute "low fire" and "high fire". In the manual there is a fan speed chart that gives "min, 2000; ignition, 3000; max, 7300", but I am not going to assume these mean anything pertinent. When the pressures get checked, another combustion analysis will be done, as has been done twice. I will mention the above suggestions if what their tech thought was wrong does not pan out. I also have to check on an "asbestos" doughnut that was loose when I cleaned it. That doughnut sits between the boiler body and the ignition points and just may have air zipping past it, whining; dunno. Anyway, thanks again and I will mention these suggestions to the tech if needed. Cheers. john