Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ghost Flow? additional spring check valve?

Options
mercedes
mercedes Member Posts: 67
Radiant heat was installed on the main floor and basement coupled on the existing baseboard heating upstairs. This is the second heating season. The issue is up stairs bedroom are getting warm without the thermostat calling. Looking at the piping it has one supply and two return pipes to the manifold. I see already a spring check valve was installed on the supply line to the upstairs baseboard. I think the ghost flow is going up the return and moving around (like a race track) see attach schematic. My question is could I install another spring check valve on the return side?

Thank you again for the help.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    Page 12 of this B&G booklet answers your query Start reading in the second column just below the diagram of "ONE ZONE ONE CIRCULATOR" and continue on page 13. Illustrates your "Ghost Flow"

http://media.blueridgecompany.com/documents/ZoningMadeEasy.pdf
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    Correction start on Page 11 second column "ONE ZONE ONE CIRCULATOR" and on page 12
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    Pics would be better of the whole boiler piping arrangement. Not too close. There could be other factors involved. The existing circulator is not an IFC? Internal Flow Check.
  • mercedes
    Options
    Will do get a picture posted . Thank you for the ONE ZONE ONE CIRCULATOR.
    The TACO 007 is not IFC. A spring check valve is installed on the supply line already on both circuits for the base board. The radiant circuits has Grundfos with check valve already. I will work on that picture of the mechanical room.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    It would be unusual to require two checks in a system like that.

Sometimes primary secondary piping with two vertical lines piped off the closely spaced tees can "back end" heat. Hotter water rises up the center of the return riser while cooler water falls down the outer portion of the tube, a thermosiphon basically.
    A drawing would better help us see what could be the cause.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mercedes
    Options
    I have attached power point presentation (watch in slide show) pictures of the mechanical room also made a heating schematic. Slide one shows the red pex return lines with two green handle ball valves and in Slide two has a better picture of the red pex return lines with the green ball valves and going into the copper pipes. Any question please ask. Thank you again
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Look at the returning pipes from that split system , they should return to a single pipe before conecting to the return manifold . If not that is the problem ....
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    There's a reason why zone valves are used when one would think that check valves suffice.
  • HVACNUT
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Any pics? Nothing beats actually seeing the crime scene for real.
  • mercedes
    Options
    The attachment did not go thru. Sorry please recheck my last discussion
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    > @mercedes said:
    > The attachment did not go thru. Sorry please recheck my last discussion

Sorry. When I try to open it, it says I need to download an app.
  • mercedes
    Options
    Sorry for the trouble. I convert them to Word docX I hope this works< Also the attachment are in pdf form.
    If this does not work please tell me what form and I will get it done.
  • mercedes
    Options
    Thank you all. I read Edtheheaterman attachment and after watch Caleffi "Heat Migration in Hydronic & Plumbing Systems" Now I understand "ghost flow".

Thank you again for all the support.

You Tube video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23CQiEt5QWc&amp;list=PLuuV0ELkYb5VE0I4evUZ30b5U78CRlRdg&amp;index=36