Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler, High Carbon monoxide levels, need info ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    You have nowhere near enough combustion air in there... even when those are cleaned and adjusted, you need to get a lot more air in. At least leave the doors open.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • starbrightsteve
    starbrightsteve Member Posts: 2
    Options
    The boiler may not be getting enough air but its almost a sure thing that the CO measurement was taken with the door wide open. I suggest three things on the to do list. First, someone needs to make sure the chimney is clear and measure the draft. Second, since it looks like no one has ever cleaned this boiler, the burners need to be pulled out and cleaned. This may require some compressed air and brushes to clean the sections above the burners and will require a vacuume to clean up the debris. While the burners are off, I would spray a bit of carburetor cleaner at each orifice. Third, after re-assembling everything, the firing rate needs to be measured either by measuring the gas pressure or by timing the gas meter. I personally would derate this little boiler 10% and then test for CO before dilution air is introduced.
    While this boiler is not very efficient, it can be made to burn the gas completely and safely. The difficulty you will have is finding someone to do good work. No one in the past has done good work. If you don’t want to leave the door open you could undercut the door another 2 or 3 inches.
    SlamDunk
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Measurement of CO are made with a CO meter. The meter must be calibrated on a yearly basis. The measuring contractor should be able to show you a calibration certificate with the calibration date on it.

It is surprising how many contractors don't send their units in for calibration and use it year after year. These meters have sensors in them that do wear out and need to be replaced. A worn out sensor will give incorrect readings.

My last calibration was so expensive because sensors needed to be replace that I could have retired and moved to the south of France with what it cost me.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Donny039
    Donny039 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the detailed information! I'm still looking for a boiler guy to clean and tune it up. i'll leave the door open once its up and running until I get a louver door. I will keep you all updated.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Is there an attic space over the boiler closet?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!