Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which boiler is best?

Options
forsterk
forsterk Member Posts: 1
I am replacing my home boiler. I am choosing between a propane fired Vitodens 100w and an oil fired System 2000. All else being equal, I just want some professional advice about which one is best. If it were your house, which one would you choose and why?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Do you prefer turkey or Friday evening? Start with the fuel choice. What's available? What's the cost per BTU? Do you have either on-site now?

Perhaps more important -- who is going to install it, and what do they prefer to work on and service? Both of them require fairly... well, very … knowledgeable people to install them and set them p properly, and to service them.

"All else being equal" -- which it never is -- I'd prefer the Viessman unit, but for reasons which have little to do with the units themselves.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Zman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    @forsterk

You won't find to many negative comments on system 2000 or Viessmann. I think most would consider them top of the line.

as @Jamie Hall mentioned the installer is key. Both those boilers are fairly sophisticated having either one of those boiler with an installer that know what he's doing is fine.........but with poor service either one will be a disaster
    STEVEusaPA
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Vitodens 100W- B1HA or B1KA?
    If the latter (combi) then the System 2000 EK for sure IMO. To be honest, I'd probably pick the EK almost every time against any boiler.
    I'm not a fan of combi's unless there's severe space issues.
    I'm an oil guy at heart but the EK Frontier is available as a gas boiler (actually easily interchangeable between gas and oil) as well. The EK-1 comes with a Carlin EZ gas burner. EK offers the Accel gas mod con as well which is also an excellent boiler. Even if it is gas fired.
    That being said, you cant go wrong with the Vitodens 100W heat only boiler with an indirect.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    Options
    My first thought when I read the question... Who is installing it. check out reviews on the installer. Check with the local supply house to see who they might recommend. they may not want to talk to you about the problem contractors, but most will give you a thumbs up on a craftsman.

A hack working on a Cadillac can make it the worst car you ever driven while a craftsman working on a VW Bug can make it the best car you ever owned. That being said already... pick your fuel! #2 Fuel has 140,000 BTUs per gallon LP gas has 91,500 BTUs per gallon

Call for prices per gallon and do the math i think you will see that a 96% efficient gas heater using LP Gas will cost more to operate than an 85% efficient oil heater. But it may not be that far off. Personally I would go with OIL
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 332
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Thank you @DanHolohan and the all of the active and supportive HeatingHelp contributors for your positive comments about Energy Kinetics - we greatly appreciate all of your kind words about our company, family of employees, and our products! We love the forum and will continue to do our best to support the industry.
    Best,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    As good as it gets, @Roger. We're warm, well-bathed, and smiling. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.