Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving oil furnace out of basement

ctregan
ctregan Member Posts: 23
Im looking at a slightly used oil furnace for sale but, its in a basement and I'm not sure how to remove it. Is there any parts that come off easy to lighten the load?
Thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You should make sure the heat exchanger isn't cracked before you do all that work for nothing. And if it's already disconnected, you wont be able to check it.
    I wouldn't take it unless it's free.

2 people and a hand truck, make sure the steps can support all the weight.
    steve
  • ctregan
    edited November 2019
    Supposedly, they changed over to gas an it sat unused for eight years. Its been in their basement ever since. In use only a few short years...
  • ctregan
    Can it be tipped on its side or end?
  • ctregan
    Installed 2008, removed 2011
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,842
    That’s a lot of back breaking work too gamble with.

Hell its not worth all that labor just for scrap!
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited November 2019
    I just wouldn't recommend a used piece of equipment, to a family member or a friend, unless it was a freebee you were putting in a garage.
    Sitting 8 years you probably/may need a fuel pump and a motor. Then you'll need to properly hook it up and vent it, and properly run the fuel line-all to code.
    Complete cleaning and tune up.
    Then a complete combustion analysis to set it up.

And is it the right size for your house & existing ductwork? Oversized & you could shorten the life of the unit even further, have less than ideal comfort, and could waste a lot of money in operating costs.

Something tells me you're going to do it anyway.

To move it yes, but I wouldn't transport it that way.
    I'd also plug the oil line so you don't get any oil dripping out when you move it.

What happened to the other furnace?
    steve
  • ctregan
    edited November 2019
    Its the same model I have had for 16 years. I'm thinking same duct set up and flue location.

The old furnace has a bad heat exchanger. New tech from different company looked at it.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    edited November 2019
    In or out of comission, its still 11 years old. And sat there rusting for 8 of it. Not worth it IMO.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828
    How long is a "SHORT YEAR?" 360 days?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • ctregan
    edited November 2019
    I got a line on another oil furnace. This one is a Nordyne 80,000 btu lowboy. They say it was installed in 2016 and recently switched to gas and no longer need it. I asked for more picture and he did better... sent a video of it running. I put it on youtube (its from a cell text)... a little grainy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu4VQgyR69g&feature=youtu.be

My other option is a brand new Williamson oil furnace $2300+ installation or a gas conversion for about $3000(?). Also have a line on a used Thermo Pride ol-5 lowboy 5 years in service $500. The Nordyne is $250

Lots of oil furnaces on craigslist. People switch over to gas and have these things left over.
  • STEVEusaPA
    And most of them are junk.
    steve
  • ctregan
    98.5% of all the oil burners on Craigslist are pretty scary.
  • ctregan
    I ended up buying a used oil furnace off craigslist. It wasn't that heavy and it runs way better than the 15 year old furnace we had. Buying a used furnace is a legitimate option for some people/situations. Look at the house it came out of, talk to the owners, find out how many years its been in service, and... keep away from anything with rust. A lot of people have dumped oil in recent years and still have the old furnace in the basement. They are willing to get rid of it for a song. I got this one for $250. Best part is, no monthly plan from some hvac sales team. We own it!

Thanks
  • HVACNUT
    edited November 2019
    But you do need service agreement to keep your certified preowned oil furnace running and safe.
    Was a combustion and smoke test done after the installation?
    I'm sure the supply and return ducts weren't the same size. How did you adapt? Pics?
  • ctregan
    No service agreement needed. I found an independant singular HVAC person. It's him and a his truck and occasional helper. He was kind enough to help with the used furnace selection (via text) and do the final install. I picked up the furnace, hauled it into the basement got things prepared. The duct work has a canvas boot connector to simplify connection. I did a 60 mile radius search and found quite a few used furnaces but the good ones go quick this time of year. This is probably a better option for heating a garge or camp but could be done for your home too, if you accept the risk.
  • HVACNUT
    Nice! If you don't already have, a Merv 10 or better air cleaner can be installed with return duct modifications. I know the low boy only has a rack for 1" filters.
    Maybe a nice steam humidifier to prevent those winter bloody noses.