Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving oil furnace out of basement

Options
ctregan
ctregan Member Posts: 23
Im looking at a slightly used oil furnace for sale but, its in a basement and I'm not sure how to remove it. Is there any parts that come off easy to lighten the load?
Thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    You should make sure the heat exchanger isn't cracked before you do all that work for nothing. And if it's already disconnected, you wont be able to check it.
    I wouldn't take it unless it's free.

2 people and a hand truck, make sure the steps can support all the weight.
    steve
  • ctregan
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Supposedly, they changed over to gas an it sat unused for eight years. Its been in their basement ever since. In use only a few short years...
  • ctregan
    Options
    Can it be tipped on its side or end?
  • ctregan
    Options
    Installed 2008, removed 2011
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    That’s a lot of back breaking work too gamble with.

Hell its not worth all that labor just for scrap!
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I just wouldn't recommend a used piece of equipment, to a family member or a friend, unless it was a freebee you were putting in a garage.
    Sitting 8 years you probably/may need a fuel pump and a motor. Then you'll need to properly hook it up and vent it, and properly run the fuel line-all to code.
    Complete cleaning and tune up.
    Then a complete combustion analysis to set it up.

And is it the right size for your house & existing ductwork? Oversized & you could shorten the life of the unit even further, have less than ideal comfort, and could waste a lot of money in operating costs.

Something tells me you're going to do it anyway.

To move it yes, but I wouldn't transport it that way.
    I'd also plug the oil line so you don't get any oil dripping out when you move it.

What happened to the other furnace?
    steve
  • ctregan
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Its the same model I have had for 16 years. I'm thinking same duct set up and flue location.

The old furnace has a bad heat exchanger. New tech from different company looked at it.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    edited November 2019
    Options
    In or out of comission, its still 11 years old. And sat there rusting for 8 of it. Not worth it IMO.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    How long is a "SHORT YEAR?" 360 days?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • ctregan
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I got a line on another oil furnace. This one is a Nordyne 80,000 btu lowboy. They say it was installed in 2016 and recently switched to gas and no longer need it. I asked for more picture and he did better... sent a video of it running. I put it on youtube (its from a cell text)... a little grainy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu4VQgyR69g&feature=youtu.be

My other option is a brand new Williamson oil furnace $2300+ installation or a gas conversion for about $3000(?). Also have a line on a used Thermo Pride ol-5 lowboy 5 years in service $500. The Nordyne is $250

Lots of oil furnaces on craigslist. People switch over to gas and have these things left over.
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    And most of them are junk.
    steve
  • ctregan
    Options
    98.5% of all the oil burners on Craigslist are pretty scary.
  • ctregan
    Options
    I ended up buying a used oil furnace off craigslist. It wasn't that heavy and it runs way better than the 15 year old furnace we had. Buying a used furnace is a legitimate option for some people/situations. Look at the house it came out of, talk to the owners, find out how many years its been in service, and... keep away from anything with rust. A lot of people have dumped oil in recent years and still have the old furnace in the basement. They are willing to get rid of it for a song. I got this one for $250. Best part is, no monthly plan from some hvac sales team. We own it!

Thanks
  • HVACNUT
    edited November 2019
    Options
    But you do need service agreement to keep your certified preowned oil furnace running and safe.
    Was a combustion and smoke test done after the installation?
    I'm sure the supply and return ducts weren't the same size. How did you adapt? Pics?
  • ctregan
    Options
    No service agreement needed. I found an independant singular HVAC person. It's him and a his truck and occasional helper. He was kind enough to help with the used furnace selection (via text) and do the final install. I picked up the furnace, hauled it into the basement got things prepared. The duct work has a canvas boot connector to simplify connection. I did a 60 mile radius search and found quite a few used furnaces but the good ones go quick this time of year. This is probably a better option for heating a garge or camp but could be done for your home too, if you accept the risk.
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    Nice! If you don't already have, a Merv 10 or better air cleaner can be installed with return duct modifications. I know the low boy only has a rack for 1" filters.
    Maybe a nice steam humidifier to prevent those winter bloody noses.