Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Shut it down!?!

Options
JoanieFirstTimer
JoanieFirstTimer Member Posts: 3
edited November 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello! The previous owner of our home added a single pipe radiator to our 1935 steam system in 2001. It’s the second radiator in a large bedroom and bangs and clicks and, since the heat came on, has woken my kid up in the middle of the night every night. I want to shut it down/silence it. The other original radiator in the room is silent and hot. What’s the best way to do that? I have a Maid O Mist Jacobus Self Adjustable Air Valve.

Comments

• JoanieFirstTimer
    Options
    Pics:
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    Options
    Pictures did not post.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,837
    Options
    I can't offer professional advice to your question but I will ask if the one radiator will be sufficient to heat the room? If not, the best steam pros are here, so hang in there.
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    Options
    As a short term solution, if you want the radiator not to heat anymore, then turn the vent upside down. That should prevent steam from entering it and making the noise.

But, that means it won't heat as well.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    Bangs and clicks are two different problems. The clicks are probably -- but not certainly -- expansion sounds. They may be coming from the pipe rubbing on something -- or they may be coming from the radiator itself as it expands. Check to see if the pipe may be rubbing on the floor where it comes up, or anywhere else. You might be able to quiet the radiator down by putting something slippery under the feet -- I've had good success with small pieces of polyethylene milk jug slipped under the feet.

The bangs may be expansion as well, but they might also be water hammer. Check that the inlet valve is fully open and that the radiator has a slight slope towards the inlet. Then go and look at the pipes feeding the radiator, if you can see them, and make sure they have a definite pitch back to the main steam line.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SlamDunk
  • JoanieFirstTimer
    Options
    Thank you all! We don’t need this radiator, so will try turning the vent upside down. Will see how tonight goes and will update tomorrow!
  • ThomasM84
    ThomasM84 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    How did turning the vent upside down work for you after all? I'm in a similar rut and would like to know if it is at least a temporary solution to get rid of the awful noise.