Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Epoxy coated gas pipe rusted/leaking natural gas

When removing a bamboo tree and it's deep roots I smelled gas. When I got to the pipe water/soap mixture applied and bubbles formed. Shut gas off at meter. Does the green epoxy coated pipe not last very long? It was installed 8-10 years ago, replacing the original that lasted 50 years. The manufacturer just told me it had a 1 year warranty. The PE pipe also has a 1 year warranty but, seems like it might be a better product. Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    PE pipe w/ the anodeless risers. Pretty much the best option.
    mattmia2Zman
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Any pipe with something constantly rubbing against it would fail, right?
    steve
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited November 2019
    Was the leaking section just under the tree?
    Bamboo is a pretty aggressive growing plant, to grow such above the ground it does below.

We have coated gas line installed 50+ years ago.
    First 40 years it was yellow coated pipe, now green coated for the last 10 years or so. No failures that I have heard of....this is a small town....that would be news in the coffee shop.
    We have cathodic protection for the entire system. All piping is insulated from being grounded.

BTW, was the tree stunted or dying?
  • TVC15
    TVC15 Member Posts: 2

Any pipe with something constantly rubbing against it would fail, right?

Are you referring to the roots I was removing? There were no roots next to the pipe and, the pipe was wrapped with 20 mil black tape.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Epoxy coatings on pipe will last decades... provided they aren't damaged. Any sort of damage -- even a relatively small scrape -- will lead to remarkably rapid corrosion, if the pipe is not cathodically protected like @JUGHNE 's system. The reason is that all of the electrochemical attack will be concentrated on the damaged area. Which, of course, is why pipeline companies use cathodic protection. Which also, however, is not effective unless the system is completely bonded.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    The only reason pipe would be wrapped on our system is if the coating was incomplete for whatever reason. Couplings and scratches are wrapped in special tape to replicate the coating.
    Could your section have the coating damaged and the tape did not seal all wounds?