Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Commercial Steam Boiler Replacement plumber recommendations? NYC/LES area

nybigapple
nybigapple Member Posts: 59
edited November 2019 in Strictly Steam
I have an old steam system that is quickly deteriorating for a 28 unit 2 apartment building setup. The boiler is a weil mclain lgb 9. We recently discovered leaking in the boiler, and I believe it is definitely time for a replacement. This is an old tenement where the heating system has seen little to no maintenance and in the last few years, the water hammer has caused steam pipes to start bursting and need emergency patching. So I'd like a plumber who can first replace the boiler and redo the near boiler piping. I placed a picture of the boiler a couple of years ago and was told I would highly benefit from a drop header. Second, I need a plumber who can address the water hammer.

I have a local master plumber who I've used a few times and is all too eager to replace the boiler for a hefty sum, but doesn't seem very knowledgable or willing to address the system as a whole. When I inquired about what he would do he wanted to reuse as much existing piping as he can and just insert a new boiler which threw up the warning signals.

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    edited October 2019
    I'm right here. My installations are done through my larger company, Gateway Plumbing & Heating.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,169
    Try @JohnNY (John Cataneo, Gateway Plumbing & Heating, 212-980-0909 or (646) 598-7230). About the best out there...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    JohnNYIronman
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    @JohnNY were you ever contacted to check out this job?
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    edited November 2019
    @nybigapple your instincts are correct when you mention addressing "the system as a whole" and also getting rid of the water hammer. The system, (and) changing the boiler must be done correctly or you will be buying a new boiler with the same problems you are having now. And there is no sense in that.

Get a second opinion from a local and reputable company that will be there for you over time. The advice given above is well worth following.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    > @SeanBeans said:
    > @JohnNY were you ever contacted to check out this job?

Yes I was. It’s a special case. November isn’t the time to get into it. It needs too much attention and time.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    @JohnNY cool. It’s good to know your limits
    Intplm.