Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing a 2' section of CI baseboard cleanly

Options
michaelj1
michaelj1 Member Posts: 5
I need to remove a 2' section of CI baseboard due to freeze/break. I've pulled the length away from the wall. Removed the nut/bolt from behind. Now what?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Is it an end or middle section? A middle section will have push nipples on both sides. And end will have threaded connections on one side. If it's the end section, you'll need a new one. You'll also need new push nipples and the assembly tool. Don't attempt to do it without the tool!
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • michaelj1
    michaelj1 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Section next to the end. Want to reuse the end, and just pipe it without replacing the bad section. How to separate after 50 years. Assembly tool? Lots of fin tube, no cast experience.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited October 2019
    Options
    michaelj1 said:

Section next to the end. Want to reuse the end, and just pipe it without replacing the bad section. How to separate after 50 years. Assembly tool? Lots of fin tube, no cast experience.

Gently, like any radiator where you're trying to save it.

Get new push nipples.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    You want to just run a pipe in between where the broken section was? Um... reread @Ironman 's comment. Those sections are joined with push nipples, not threaded joints. While I expect something could be MacGyvered to do the job, it's going to be custom machining... You'll be better off to take that section out and shift the good end section over with new push nipples and tension rods, and run a new pipe from the inlet (or outlet) pipe to where the end section sits now.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England