Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heatmaker Mark II not functioning

I am a recent homeowner and went to turn my heat on the other day and noticed that it was not functioning. I also noticed that my hot water was running out every quickly in the shower. I inspected the boiled and when I pulled the front cover off there was a blinking light next to "Valve". I did some research online and found some information about a bad igniter. I first removed the ignitor (which I found was a ignitor/flame sensor) and cleaned it with a dollar. When I reinstalled and turned the boiler back on, the boiler attempted to run through its start up cycle three times then tripped out and went back to flashing "valve". I removed the ignitor and tested it with a multimeter and there was no current running through it. So I purchased a new ignitor and installed. When I turned the boiler back on it began through its start up cycle and again tripped out at "flame" and starts back at "purge". Now it does not stop after three attempts, it is just continually trys to run through its start up cycle. What is my next thing I need to test? I am currently at a standstill!

Thanks,
Joe

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    I'm sorry to have to say this -- but diagnosing, never mind trying to repair, a burner which is failing to run is not something I would recommend to a homeowner, at least not in general. There are too many things which could be amiss -- and something of them could be very dangerous.

Is this gas or oil? If it's oil, does your oil service company have a service department? Better yet, check "Find a Contractor" on this site, or tell us where you are -- we may know someone in your area who is competent.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    That's a pretty old system, I believe they stopped making those 20+ years ago. If it hasn't been serviced lately now would be a good time to find a contractor who knows those boilers.
    D
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The Heatmaker was bought by Laars and rebranded Endurance.
    The average service life or the Heatmaker was probably 15 years. I would be thinking replacement in the not so distant future.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Heatmakers were all over in Manhattan and Brooklyn apartments for many years due to their small footprint. They drove everyone crazy. I also suggest replacing it, but first make sure the flue is clear and the termination kit is not damaged or blocked. You're not getting to ignition and so your problem is in the first steps of the cycle.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    DZoro
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I agree with @JohnNY. Random ignition related errors are often caused by a blocked vent or combustion air. I would also be checking for bad electrical grounds.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    JohnNYDZoro
  • brennanj07
    brennanj07 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the suggestions.

It does sound like the furnace is firing up. It then sounds like its kind of wafting then going out and tripping out before attempting its start up cycle again.

I will check to make sure the flute and vent is not blocked. I will also be contacting a service provider as this has moved past my technical expertise.

Also, I found out that National Grid offers 0% APR for new boiler replacements so I will be looking into those programs.
    DZoro
  • brennanj07
    brennanj07 Member Posts: 3
    Checked the flue and it is not plugged or clogged. Can feel hot air pushing out while the furnace is trying to start up.