Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New to oil.

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
edited October 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
First question. I’m replacing an old oil system for a wall hung Nat Gas boiler and indirect. Question is how do I best remove the existing oil line with minimal spillage in the basement? Is the old Beckett junk or salvage that?

Second question. Are there books or links for learning oil systems? I have a new Uticia I’ll be keeping as a backup on the secondary loop and upgrade to wall hung at my own house but want to tune up the oil boiler. No idea what nozzle is on there or how old filters are or how to set combustion.

Pics of first job progress.

Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Timco
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    On a side note: the electric code requires a minimum clearance of 30" wide for 3' straight back from the electric panel. The old water heater interfered with that and it looks like the new indirect is still in that zone.

I'm curious: why didn't you go with the UFT?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Old oil lines...
    Is it in the concrete?
    The easiest way is to fire up the heater and immediately close the oil tank valve and undo the nearest fitting to the tank, let the oil burn. When it shuts off, turn off the burner, and stick a push pull pump on the oil line. Take off oil line at the burner, bend it (or add a piece) so it goes into a 5 gallon can with a rag stuffed into the opening. Pump out remaining oil into can. Plug both ends of oil line with a flare cap.
    I honestly wouldn't bother to try to learn oil just to take care of you part time piece of back up equipment.
    You really need an analyzer, pump/vacuum fuel gauges for starters, and that puts you over a grand. Plus your analyzer will need recalibration over the years. And some parts.

Double filtration, clean the boiler, have it set up for true zero smoke, treat the oil tank, and have a professional come over every 2 (maybe even 3, but check after 2) years to do a proper cleaning/tune up.
    Save money, time and aggravation, enjoy life.
    steve
  • Timco
    edited October 2019
    Ironman said:

On a side note: the electric code requires a minimum clearance of 30" wide for 3' straight back from the electric panel. The old water heater interfered with that and it looks like the new indirect is still in that zone.

I'm curious: why didn't you go with the UFT?

It’s either 26” panel clearance or pipe way out into space and around the corner and water service stops me from moving and farther over. Couldn’t move boiler left because hangar bracket lined up with old chimney clean out. Radon system to left. ELU is our latest and a better unit IMO. Plus I got this 199 as a Pre release test boiler for $0 as well as a fire tube version for my own home. They even gave me a SSU 45 & 60 to compete the installs.
  • Timco

Old oil lines...
    Is it in the concrete?
    The easiest way is to fire up the heater and immediately close the oil tank valve and undo the nearest fitting to the tank, let the oil burn. When it shuts off, turn off the burner, and stick a push pull pump on the oil line. Take off oil line at the burner, bend it (or add a piece) so it goes into a 5 gallon can with a rag stuffed into the opening. Pump out remaining oil into can. Plug both ends of oil line with a flare cap.
    I honestly wouldn't bother to try to learn oil just to take care of you part time piece of back up equipment.
    You really need an analyzer, pump/vacuum fuel gauges for starters, and that puts you over a grand. Plus your analyzer will need recalibration over the years. And some parts.

Double filtration, clean the boiler, have it set up for true zero smoke, treat the oil tank, and have a professional come over every 2 (maybe even 3, but check after 2) years to do a proper cleaning/tune up.
    Save money, time and aggravation, enjoy life.

I have a Bacharach Fyrite. Newer analyzer. Just want to set combustion on my backup boiler I’ll keep.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    You want to keep an old oil boiler as back up?
    No faith in new technology.....parts hard to get?? >:)
  • STEVEusaPA
    Just remember to treat that oil tank. New fuel doesn't sit like it the old fuel-especially if it's bio or ultra low.
    steve
    kcopp
  • Timco
    JUGHNE said:

You want to keep an old oil boiler as back up?
    No faith in new technology.....parts hard to get?? >:)

The oil boiler at my house is 1 or 2 years old. Tanks and all. Hard to justify tearing it all out. I have nearly 24hr access to parts actually.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I figured that on the parts, just wanted to pull your chain a little.
    Don't want to upset you as I do have some HTP installed and may have to ring your phone.

Are you close to anyone connected with program of "Oil heat cares" or such, not sure of the name.
    Perhaps a tax deduction for donations.....and get it all out of your basement by others..... just a thought??
    FWIW
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    > @Timco said:
    > (Image)
    > (Quote)
    > It’s either 26” panel clearance or pipe way out into space and around the corner and water service stops me from moving and farther over. Couldn’t move boiler left because hangar bracket lined up with old chimney clean out. Radon system to left. ELU is our latest and a better unit IMO. Plus I got this 199 as a Pre release test boiler for $0 as well as a fire tube version for my own home. They even gave me a SSU 45 & 60 to compete the installs.

Y’all got any published info available on that boiler? If not, can you share why it’s better?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • STEVEusaPA
    I got a feeling @Timco works for HTP...
    steve
  • Timco
    Ironman said:

> @Timco said:

> (Image)

> (Quote)

> It’s either 26” panel clearance or pipe way out into space and around the corner and water service stops me from moving and farther over. Couldn’t move boiler left because hangar bracket lined up with old chimney clean out. Radon system to left. ELU is our latest and a better unit IMO. Plus I got this 199 as a Pre release test boiler for $0 as well as a fire tube version for my own home. They even gave me a SSU 45 & 60 to compete the installs.

Y’all got any published info available on that boiler? If not, can you share why it’s better?

https://www.htproducts.com/eliteultra.html

That’s the link to the current line of ELU boilers and combis. Less plastic, silent operation, EBM fan, Taco E pump, Honeywell GV, WiFi, and more. The one I’m installing here at our rental is a test trial 199 boiler only and I’m putting a fire tube at my place. With the built in diverter valve the DHW zone ties right into a supply and return fitting just for DHW loop under the boiler.
  • Timco
    JUGHNE said:

I figured that on the parts, just wanted to pull your chain a little.
    Don't want to upset you as I do have some HTP installed and may have to ring your phone.

Are you close to anyone connected with program of "Oil heat cares" or such, not sure of the name.
    Perhaps a tax deduction for donations.....and get it all out of your basement by others..... just a thought??
    FWIW

Got it lol. Not sure my fob opens parts after hours but all day it does. I’ve never heard of that site and it would be half the install but the tanks are in a hideaway spot for them and the basement is huge so space not a worry. Wife loves the added reassurance of dual heat source / dual fuel.
  • Timco
    Almost forgot. Call anytime with questions or comments. I’m here to help. 774-271-3176 is my office. Tim White.