Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A couple questions

Snodog
Snodog Member Posts: 4
First I have a bad varivalve vent on my bedroom radiator which needs to be replaced. Just wondering if there is a quieter alternative that is adjustable?

Second my kitchen radiator only gets hot over about half the length and is spitting water out of the vent. It also makes a gurgling sound a few minutes after it starts heating up plus a rattling sound from what I think is the main valve into it. Before this year it worked perfectly. My guess is something wrong with the main valve. Hoping someone with more knowledge can tell me if I'm right or wrong?

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    The most quiet way I know to vent a radiator with an adjustable valve is to use a Danfoss RA2000 1-pipe steam TRV and an upright Gorton D vent.

You kitchen radiator is trapping water either in it or in the piping leading up to it. When it's a new problem it's often a problem with the floor settling or a pipe hanger having come loose.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    SnodogSTEVEusaPA
  • Snodog
    Thank you for the suggestion on the vent and valve neighbor actually had a spare vent and it's working but a bit noisier. This one is more to simply quiet it a little.

I'll also check the radiator to make sure it's pitched properly and pipe hangers which is something that I hadn't though of. I'll let you know what I find.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Of course I agree with JohnNY but I will also add that the rattling sound you describe may be that the valve seal inside is rusted off of the stem and is lying at the bottom, blocking water from escaping and rattling as the steam percolates through the water (getting prematurely condensed at the same time).

So try the easy cheap fixes first but think about checking/replacing the valve if the rattling and heating trouble persist.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    SnodogHap_Hazzard
  • Snodog
    After looking at what JohnNY it was pitched wrong which I've corrected. Unfortunately the final fix won't be a cheap nor easy as one of the floor joists has a visible split in it along with some other problems that were hidden. Bit OT but I've attached a couple pictures to show what I mean.

It's working better but still making the rattling so you both may be correct. I'll disconnect the radiator tomorrow and take a peek inside the valve.

• gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Before you spend all that money on a TRV I would try a Ventrite No. 1 or Hoffman 40 on the bedroom radiator.
  • Snodog
    edited October 2019
    Sorry for taking a few days to reply back was out of town unexpectedly. Looked at the inlet valve today and ethicalpaul was indeed also correct about the valve being broken. Seems to be fine after replacing it so it looks like there were actually 2 problems with the radiator. Thank you both for your help.

I've also ordered a Ventrite #1 should be here Wednesday. I'll update you on how it works out.
    ethicalpaul
  • Hello, I was looking to use the RA 2000 1PS Thermostatic Radiator Valve in my co-op.
    Picking a vent is easy, but finding the valve mounted dial is giving me trouble. I'm looking for an electrically actuated dial.

Does anyone have a RA 2000 1PS Thermostatic Radiator Valve with an electric actuator?

I've looked at the Danfoss Eco and Bosch smart home radiator thermostats, but they do not seem compatible with the RA 2000.

Does anyone have a compatible battery operated/powered actuator?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Is this one pipe steam or two? If it's one pipe, the TRV has to go on the vent, not the inlet valve (which must be fully open all the time). Two pipe steam would have it on the inlet -- but piping it and connecting it could get very interesting...

That said, the Danfoss valve you mention takes no power to operate; it is operated either by a local actuator or remote actuator with a capillary to the valve. Is there a reason the Danfoss Eco won't work in your application?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England