Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator Valve repacking ?

Hello , I have some steam radiators that leak from the valve stems . They need repacking but Im told not to use teflon packing or graphite packing . So what do I use? These are just your ordinary steam radiator valves you see in most homes . They have the black plastic circular handle to open and close them. So what do I use ? How many inches of whatever do I use ? and do I wrap it around the stem counter clockwise or clockwise? Thank You .

Comments

• Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    I'm a little confused by the question, Teflon or Graphite packing are the only options I've used on the bonnet nuts on my 9 rad valves, and more recently tried Palmetto packings 1382 1/8" which seems to be excellent - combination PTFE and Grahite. Three or four wraps, clockwise, then snug down and work it in a bit. I may repack all of them with this stuff - the white teflon cord I used before on the majority of these valves seems to be inferior.
    https://palmettopackings.com/packing-products/general-service-packings/style-1382/
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Some rad valves are "packless", if so not able to fix with standard packing. Someone may have known this and this is where the advice came from.

Pictures would tell us something about the valves.
  • Dan_NJ
    Agreed, pictures = good
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    ericsch said:

Im told not to use teflon packing or graphite packing

By whom? People love to comment on things...
    Use Teflon, or graphite, or wick. Don't over think it.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    ethicalpaul
  • ericsch
    ericsch Member Posts: 8
    Danco and Grainger both said teflon will melt and graphite isnt appropriate ??
  • ericsch
    I will check out the Palmetto packings stuff but it looks a little thick
  • ericsch
    I dont think these valves are packless . They are very ordinary , some are quite old . They are the same rad valves Ive seen on every radiator since the 50's
    STEAM DOCTOR
  • ericsch
    I wish someone would just make a thick silicone washer with a tapered top that would stop any leak by compression
  • ericsch
    I will try the danco graphite stuff from home depot . 4 turns around the stems clockwise . Ive tried teflon and graphite string both didnt stop the leaks much
  • ericsch
    Thanks to all the replies , I was expecting emails about having messages . Thats why the late reply .
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,953
    Personally been using teflon and/or graphite for years. No callbacks yet.
    ethicalpaul
  • ericsch
    the home depot graphite looks more substantial that the graphite string i tried . When using the teflon what do you think works better , the thin rope or the thicker rope?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    ericsch said:

Danco and Grainger both said teflon will melt and graphite isnt appropriate ??

will melt :lol:
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    ericsch
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    @ethical I had someone scold me for using tape on a wet return once, said the steam gets so hot it will melt!

They used Gripp only
    ethicalpaulericsch
  • Dan_NJ
    The palmetto 1382 I got in 1/8" thickness and it seems better than all the 3/32" stuff i found in hardware store etc. It's a bit thicker but seems to seal very well.
    ericsch
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    And it's good to 550 degrees :)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    ericsch
  • Dan_NJ
    edited October 2019
    I don't know what pressure I would need to get 550 degree steam, but I plan to never get there :)
    Edit: I had to check - a little over 1,000 PSI would get me to 550 Deg F steam, not gonna happen :)
    ethicalpaulericsch
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    Graphite, which is used to control many nuclear reactors and melts around 6500F can't handle the temperatures in a home heating system. :p

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Intplm.ericsch