Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Big house, minuscule boiler room.

This is a boiler replacement job, but it reminds me of how we have to fight with the AIA to get a decent amount of space for our equipment.

I've learned to ask for twice the amount of space than I need and take the flak later.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    You're a better man than I am. Why no indirect?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Wow! I’d call that a 'mechanical nook'. Nice job!

Are they going to be able to replace the water heater in the future without taking down a wall?? Of
    steve
  • I have more and more customers that are cautious about their DHW. If their boiler packs up, they at least want their hot showers and I'm not about to argue with them.

Rich_49
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,584

I have more and more customers that are cautious about their DHW. If their boiler packs up, they at least want their hot showers and I'm not about to argue with them.

This was a big reason I didn't do it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SeanBeans
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Retired and loving it.
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 265
    Just because empty space doesn't contain anything is not a reason to eliminate it. Space is the first priority in every successful design, unless you are never going back, or will not be responsible for lacking it. Kudos to us who can do without space but we really shouldn't let designers steal the space required for service.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited August 2019
    Lance said:

Just because empty space doesn't contain anything is not a reason to eliminate it. Space is the first priority in every successful design, unless you are never going back, or will not be responsible for lacking it. Kudos to us who can do without space but we really shouldn't let designers steal the space required for service.

I consider myself lucky if they ask how much room we need. Most of the time, they say, "There's your boiler room.".

Solid_Fuel_ManCanucker
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    That type of installation does not meet our clearance required in our CSA B149.1code! The gas utility or AHJ would tag it.
  • HotanCool
    HotanCool Member Posts: 55
    I'm glad I live and work where we have Basements! :)
    JUGHNE