Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fin Tube Baseboard in kick Space of Kitchen banquette Seating

ced48
ced48 Member Posts: 469
Would installing some fin tube radiation in a recessed space in the seating of a banquette effect performance by much? I am talking about a space just tall and wide enough for the baseboard to fit into.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Yes, it will greatly reduce its output.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    air movement across the element is what is needed cool air in the bottom, warm air out the top
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ced48
    The reason I ask is that I have to replace 17' of fin tube and I only have 4' of wall space left. Everyone seems to be down on kick space units, and the mixing of panel radiators, and so forth. The system is a very small, split loop, and I know I have to be careful not to mess up the balance of the 2 loops. Any ideas would help.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Why not a panel radiator?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Why can’t the space for the fin tube be a little deeper and taller for better convection?
    Either way you may have some toasty ankles.

—side note—
    I saw at Penn Station in Philly they have an opening in the bottom of the benches, and fin tube in the bottom back of the bench, and a grill at the top back of the bench (and 30-40ft ceilings). They seem to work despite being fully plugged with trash/debris.
    Here’s a pic (I forgot to delete) from overhead (looking down the top/back of bench). I could take a better pic when I take the train to Wetstock.
    I only took the pics to email them telling them they could probably easily save 20% on their heating costs if they would clean them out. They never got back to me (or cleaned them).

steve
  • ced48
    Yes, I was thinking of leaving some space over the baseboard for the hot air to escape, maybe the openings would be tapered up to nothing. I am only using 120 degree water, so no over heating of the ankle issues. A little concerned about heels kicking them.

I am concerned about the pressure drop with 1/2" feeds on panel units, and how it could upset the balance of the two loops.
  • Ironman
    At 120* SWT, you'll only get 1/4 of the rated output. That's assuming the BBs are completely free to breath in their enclosures.

Chocking the air flow is gonna make it substantially less than that.

I wouldn't recommend what you're proposing.
    Bob Boan
  • Ironman
    Is the piping a series loop, direct return or monoflo?
    Bob Boan
  • ced48
    edited August 2019
    Standard Slant Fin 30 will get me 210 btu's per foot, Smith's He2, close to 290. I need the equivalent of 17 feet of Slant Fin 30 at these rates. I will only have 4 feet of outside wall left, after installing the new dining area.

Yes, it is a split, series loop, direct return. Water exits boiler in 1" main, splits into 2, 3/4" lines, feeds the base board on each side, one after the other, each side returns to a common 1" line, back to the boiler.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Cabinet heaters work basically as you describe, a large metal cabinet with fin tube assemble, much larger than fin tube enclosure.

SlantFin does have high output fin, that looks to outperform the HE?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ced48
    Ironman said:

At 120* SWT, you'll only get 1/4 of the rated output. That's assuming the BBs are completely free to breath in their enclosures.

Chocking the air flow is gonna make it substantially less than that.

I wouldn't recommend what you're proposing.

Bob, What would you do in this case?
  • Ironman
    Without actually seeing what you're dealing with, it's hard to say. You mentioned panel rad's in another post?
    Bob Boan