Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bell & Gossett Help

Can someone help me with this pump ID? It's the larger one on top in the picture below. It's not a series 100 pump. It circulates water through 3/8" tubing in the ceiling plaster; maybe 1500 square feet.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    We call it a large B&G in the trade ... What is the problem ? Can we help you
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I call it an HV.
    Steve Minnich
    D107
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited June 2019
    I thought so too, but I ordered this HV pump, but it's a Series 100.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bell-Gossett-102210-1-6-HP-HV-NFI-Circulator-Pump-5601000-p

The motor is the size of the lower circulator in the picture.

The problem is that it's leaking through a hole under the coupling assembly.

• Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    edited June 2019
    Seal is leaking. That hole is there to drain water from leaking seal. Need to replace bearing assembly. Re-use impeller. New assembly comes with valute gasket and oil. Part number 189163.
    Never stop learning.
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesJohnNY
  • That's a great help, Mike. I'd like to get a new impeller with that. Are there many to choose from?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    What about a nice ECM circ upgrade? Like a B&G Vario if they like the brand.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    delta TSTEVEusaPARPK
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    In my experience, by the time you pay for a new bearing assembly, impeller, and the like, plus the time and labor to install it, you will be money ahead with a new ECM.
    JohnNY
  • Tinman
    Or a simple wet rotor pump? An NRF-33 would be fairly close.
    Steve Minnich
    delta T
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 851
    Not certain, but it looks like 1" or 1-1/4" pipe in and out of this HV pump. I agree with others, might be better off replacing pump with new. I'm guessing about ten or fifteen gpm at ten or eleven feet of head. I'd be careful not to choose a pump with less head. We often see HV pumps on systems with monoflow tees, due to the added restriction.
  • Tinman
    HV pumps are relatively low head (15’ tops) with high flow.
    Steve Minnich
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    B&G made a pump called 1-1/2. It's performance curve is on page 38 of their old manual: https://heatinghelp.com/assets/documents/Bell-and-Gossett-Handbook.pdf
    Retired and loving it.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • hot_rod
    Work it backwards, how many btus is it moving, the size of the boiler or how much energy could be moved thru 1500' of 3/8 tube? I doubt you are moving 20 gpm, or need to. Follow the curve down to maybe 4-6 gpm. Plenty of small wet rotors will do the jobbed use a lot less energy, be maintenance-free also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ScottSecor
    Sorry for the bad information, I somehow missed the 3/8" tubing in the ceiling part....
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, so the GPM is easy. Figuring the pressure drop is more difficult because I don't know how long the longest loop is.

If I go to my B&G System Syzer, scale No. 2:
    - 3/8" tubing
    - shows 1.7 feet of head at .4 GPM per 100 feet of tubing

Let's say they ran 250' of 3/8" tubing. That gives me 4.25' of head at let's say 6 gpm. So, like Hot Rod says, a small wet rotor pump will do the trick.

What gives me pause is why that smart, dead man who probably watched every nickel and dime he spent would choose such a large circulator.

• DanHolohan
    Probably looking for high head to push it all through the small pipe. B&G came out with ode to deal with multiple Monoflo fittings and their cumulative pressure drop.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Probably looking for high head to push it all through the small pipe. B&G came out with ode to deal with multiple Monoflo fittings and their cumulative pressure drop.

So do I trust my numbers or his pump?

• ScottSecor
    I trust the dead men's selection of pumps. I would want a pump that is capable of at least 12' head, you can always throttle the outlet if required. I may have missed it (again) but there could be a bunch of mono-flow tees that add up to quite a bit of head.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • DanHolohan
    I’m with Scott.
    Retired and loving it.
  • hot_rod

Probably looking for high head to push it all through the small pipe. B&G came out with ode to deal with multiple Monoflo fittings and their cumulative pressure drop.

So do I trust my numbers or his pump?

I like your number, but, a big but, it assumes 250' or less loops. Could be 500' loops is why they chose that circulator, or booster :)
    Can you see any manifolds to determine the number of loops?

An accurate gauge across the pump could answer the unknown, if you want to go that far.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Gilmorrie
    Gilmorrie Member Posts: 185
    edited June 2019
    A Taco 0012 has the same hydraulic performance as B&G HV. That would be a direct replacement, assuming that the HV was performing satisfactorily. A B&G HV is a heavy, rugged, costly, 3-piece pump that has been around for at least 70 years, but a modern wet-rotor pump such as the Taco 0012 would be a better choice for replacement, I think. The HV is oil lubricated, and has multiple moving parts - the Taco has one moving part, the cartridge, which is easily replaced, and is water lubricated.
  • Tinman
    Dead men oversized everything. It was a way of life. See what I did there?
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    Is the tube 3/8 OD or ID? Typical 3/8" soft copper refrigeration tube is 3/8 OD, 1/4" ID. That would make a big pressure drop difference.
    Closer to the old SolaRoll tube 200" loops and it still needed high head circ.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • That's a good questions. I did repairs on the tubing a few years back when the owner forgot to tell the electrician about the tubing in the plaster when he was adding lighting cans in the ceiling. My notes don't say the size and I forgot.
    I should presume 3/8" refrigeration.

• Tinman
    If it’s copper radiant though its most likely 3/8” ID, right? That’s all I’ve seen in Chicagoland.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    I had some copper couplings in my garage that I used exclusively for old radiant ceilings and floor repairs. The ID of the coupling is exactly 1/2”. That’s all ever used here.

The last near boiler repipe I did for this type of job was 3 levels, 2400 sf total. 3 zones and I used 007s on each zone. This was 6 years ago. House heats great.
    Steve Minnich
  • I'm tending towards a Grundfos 15-58 on high speed.

• Mike_Sheppard
    I tend to stick with B&G around where I’m at. The main reason being all of the bearing assemblies / couplings / motors / impellers are readily available at several different vendors. Every time I need a TACO it’s hit or miss, usually not in stock anywhere.
    Never stop learning.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    Hi Mike
    Thanks for expressing your concern when it comes to availability of products, and replacement parts. Taco understands the importance of having product on the shelf at Reps, and wholesalers locations.
    I'm not sure where you're located, but please reach out to me so I can look into it, and make sure you find what your looking for in the future.
    I'm available anytime at 401-261-4890.
    joemat@tacocomfort.com
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Erin Holohan HaskellSTEVEusaPAratiodelta T
  • Mike_Sheppard
    edited June 2019
    Hi @Joe Mattiello

I am in Northern VA. I service from Richmond, VA to Baltimore, MD, and sometimes beyond. Lots of Washington DC.

Commercial service. Residential and commercial sized pumps. I have several go-to vendors for larger B&G pumps, seals, impellers, bearing assemblies, and motors. Haven't had the best of luck finding larger Taco pumps and components in stock.

If you could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.
    Never stop learning.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Hi Mike
    I'm the North East, commercial Regional Manager that works closely with Taco MFG rep, NH Yates, 117c Church Lane, Cockeysville, MD 21030, 410-667-6300
    Matt Cornelius, is the Commercial manager, and works closely with Jim Yates. Collectively they have over 60 years experience with commercial systems, and products. they have been a Taco rep for most, if not all of those years. I would reach out to them with any product needs, and I'm confident they will have it in stock, or will get it within a reasonable time. I provided my contact information too, so I encourage you to call me if you need something ASAP. Thanks again for allowing me the opportunity to serve you.
    Joe Mattiello
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    TinmanratioErin Holohan Haskell
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Thank you @Joe Mattiello

I believe I have dealt with NY Yates in the past. They're pretty far north compared to the area I cover most often.

I really appreciate it and will definitely give them a call! Thanks again.
    Never stop learning.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Hi Mike
    Just following up. Let me know if there is anything you need
    Joe Mattiello
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Erin Holohan HaskellSTEVEusaPA