Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Press tools....

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
Looking to make the jump... Ridgid or Milwaukee?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2015
    Don't overlook Rems. High quality, German made with many accessories including jaws that cut threaded Rod, cables, etc.

http://www.remstoolsusa.com

I love mine.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    I have used ridgid and milwaukee a couple of times. The Milwaukee was very nice to handle. If I ever purchase it'll be Milwaukee I'm pretty sure... The purchase receptors go off for me when I see Milwaukee 'Red' though. Ha
    I found the ridgid be big and bulky, but it was still perfect to use for new installs where room wasn't an issue.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I went rigid but any three are good. What do you have locally and how is that supply house with standing behind warrantees?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    RobG
  • kcopp
    I was also told today that the Milwaukee force logic is not approved to be used on Viega fittings.... Some local inspectors were giving contractors a hard time.
    I don't know of anyone who carries the Rems tools.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Love my Milwaukee.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    kcopp said:

I was also told today that the Milwaukee force logic is not approved to be used on Viega fittings.... Some local inspectors were giving contractors a hard time.

The Viega rep told me the same thing about a year ago. Milwaukee says differently -- I'd call and let them know what you're running into. Is there an ASTM or DIN spec for press fittings? That would settle it.
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    I heard this for a wholesaler last year. Actually a wholesaler told my buddy when he went to borrow the Milwaukee tool and counter guy told him for the above stated reason that they didn't have it any more. I contacted Milwaukee and Veiga and both told me that the tool was fine and they had no issues. I later found out the Milwaukee tool was only at the Wholesaler originally on a loan to try and get contractors to try their model and eventually purchase it.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    I have three- two Milwaukees with no problems and one ridgid, thats been in the shop for repairs twice..you can read into that what you wish :o
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Ironman
    kcopp said:

I don't know of anyone who carries the Rems tools.

R.E. Michel carries them. If you use the link I posted, you can call Teel and find out who else sells them or purchase from them directly if there's no one in your area.

Bob Boan
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    1.25in and below, get the Milwaukee. For larger jobs the rp340 is the way to go.

As for fittings and press tools not being compatible... sounds like someone wants to sell more of one brand then the other. The ridgid heads fit right into my Milwaukee.
    The benefit of the Milwaukee m12 is that if you own their other tools you have plenty of charged batteries around. Very ergonomic tool.
    :NYplumber:
  • kcopp
    There is a huge price difference between the new 18v Rigid (200b) and the 12v and 18v Milwaukee.
    Just concerned about durability.
  • jm0711
    jm0711 Member Posts: 6
    I have owned a REMS press tool for about 8 years now. Rock solid reliable. The threaded rod cutter is a must have if you work with it regularly.

I had a Ridgid before that which was very good too. The thief that stole it agreed.
    jm
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    I have a m12 Milwaukee it works great. Just took a Veiga class at a local wholesaler and now wished I had sprung for the 18 volt so I could get the mega press. The Veiga rep said he was told the rigid jaws fit the Milwaukee tools by Milwaukee.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    I made the jump with M12. Love, love, love it! So far, it's been 7 months and no issues yet. Should have done it years ago! Super fast, get the tubing cutter also!!!

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    More jaws coming from Milwaukee later this year as well.
    DZoro
  • Jez1978
    Jez1978 Member Posts: 2
    Rothenberger, would be my fav.. had a bit of trouble with Rems. Also Viega, i would be careful, they will force you to only purchase their pressfittings. GD Press Fittings for example wouldnt be allowed to be pressed with a Viega tool.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    going on two years with three rigid tools, not a single issue yet. No repairs needed, no joints leak (with the exception of one example where the mfg agreed it was a defect in the fittings and nothing to do with installation or the tool, I don't use that brand of fittings much anymore). The RP200 is a bit bulky and awkward at times, though I am often surprised at the places I can fit it. Great battery life, something I suspect it has in strides over the m12.
  • Jez1978
    Jez1978 Member Posts: 2
    delta T said:

going on two years with three rigid tools, not a single issue yet. No repairs needed, no joints leak (with the exception of one example where the mfg agreed it was a defect in the fittings and nothing to do with installation or the tool, I don't use that brand of fittings much anymore). The RP200 is a bit bulky and awkward at times, though I am often surprised at the places I can fit it. Great battery life, something I suspect it has in strides over the m12.

Which brand of Fitting was it? GD Press fittings from Swiss Fittings AG?
  • kcopp
    I ended up going w/ the Ridgid rp240 18v.
    I have been pretty happy w/ it. It did break on me and Ridgid made sure it was repaired asap and they lent me another tool while mine was down.
    I did need to do some 1 1/2" press fittings so I borrowed a friends 18v Milwaukee, as my tool only goes up to 1 1/4".
    The head on the Milwaukee does not articulate as the RP200 does so that is a plus for the Ridgid.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Good comments, we have the original big Ridgid 18v, several small Ridged small battery units, and one of our guys used his own Milwaukee...it is quite small and nimble compared to the small Ridgid

Rod cutting: has anyone tried a Milwaukee mini band saw? Try it, you'll like it.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    wesPA
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    GW said:

Good comments, we have the original big Ridgid 18v, several small Ridged small battery units, and one of our guys used his own Milwaukee...it is quite small and nimble compared to the small Ridgid

Rod cutting: has anyone tried a Milwaukee mini band saw? Try it, you'll like it.

I have rod cutting tongs for my REMS press tool, quick and clean.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Ironman
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    The little Porta-Bands are the bee's knees. That and the awesome DeWalt radio/charger have made me truly consider retooling from Makita, which I've had nothing but good experience with and have a dozen batteries for. But they have neither a mini portaband nor an awesome radio/charger.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I have the dewalt 18 volt portaband. I love that tool. I use it for unistrut, all thread, copper pipe, steel , and abs pipe. Between that and my milwaukee 12 volt fuel impact, I am not sure which is my favorite tool. Still don't do press though. Too much capitol to come up with. And, I am old school. Still like threading pipe, and soldering.
    Rick
  • HydroNiCK
    HydroNiCK Member Posts: 182
    Is there really a difference between the Milwaukee Viega press and the Pex press machine? And. is viega discontinuing 5/8 pex al pex? If so can I use the Milwaukee Viega press on Blue Fin 5/8 pex al pex?

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Plumbing-Installation/Press-Tools/2674-22P

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Plumbing-Installation/Press-Tools/2674-22C
  • Ironman
    I've got two REMS press tools which have been very reliable. I also have the tongs that cut threaded rod, but I recently purchased a DeWalt threaded rod cutter which is awesome. Milwaukee just came out with one, also. If you do a lot of rod, you really should get one.

I've got a great deal on a new Milwaukee M12 that goes up to 1 1/4" and included a free m12 tubing cutter. It can also do 1/2" and 3/4" MegaPress with the optional tongs, plus Zoomlock.

It's supposed to be delivered today, so I'll see how it does next week.
    Bob Boan
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I've got a Ridgid RP200-B pencil type tool for up to 1.25" and an RP 340 for bigger stuff as well as a Nibco PC-200M pencil type and I wouldn't trade any in over the other. They are all quality items and have never had any trouble with any, aside from the Ridgid batteries not going long on a charge. Can usually get a couple days out of them but the Nibco uses a Makita battery and will go weeks on a charge, the downside is that the Nibco only goes to 1". All of which have been flawless with Viega fittings. I have considered the Milwaukee but when compared to the others, there is no benefit IMO. With all that said, I still sweat 90% of my work so it looks respectable- I may not be the right one to provide press tool reviews
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    Have used both Milwaukee and Ridgid. Head To Head, the ridgid did perform better. Over a three month period last summer we used the smaller press tools from both companies. Ridgid was favored at the end of summer.

Comments were that they performed very similarly. Battery life cycle time and feel of use was favored in the Ridgid tool. The tools used were the smaller tools that press up to 1-1/4. I forget the model numbers.
  • HydroNiCK
    Das Rems! I like the Rems tool but its out of my budget. Which Milwaukee between those two I posted? I just need a tool to press pex al pex sleeves onto blue fin. Do both milwaukee versions press A and B pex al pex?
    https://www.coptool.com/pex-system-rundown-uponor-propex-vs-viega-pureflow/
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @Ironman
    I have a Rems Amigo threader for over 20 years. Can't beat the quality
    Ironman
  • GroundUp
    PAP sleeves? Pureflow jaws will crimp the SS pex collars on any A, B, or C pex, not copper rings as they are larger diameter but last I checked there is no such thing as crimp collars for PAP
  • HydroNiCK
    GroundUp said:

PAP sleeves? Pureflow jaws will crimp the SS pex collars on any A, B, or C pex, not copper rings as they are larger diameter but last I checked there is no such thing as crimp collars for PAP

Press..

• GroundUp
    HydroNiCK said:

GroundUp said:

Press..

Those are for pex. Not pex al pex.
    Charlie from wmassSTEAM DOCTOR
  • Charlie from wmass
    #GroundUp those are the rings used for all viega pex, even the pex al pex.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,953
    You just need to strip the al off the pex-al-pex
  • HydroNiCK
    edited May 2019
    Why is this getting confusing? Maybe I'm not asking the right questions? Can I use a standard copper crimp ring and standard manual crimper on pex al pex? Can i use standard sharkbite homedepot pex crimper and ring on pex al pex ? Can i use it if i strip the tubing down an remove the al pex part from the pex? If I cant use a plain copper ring... Do I just have to add the additional sold seperatley inserts to the jaws in order to use a press sleeve for pex al pex and i'm good to go? If I can't do the above mentioned and I need special pex-al-pex specific manual crimpers or electric tool like the Milwaukee's i posted please read the next paragraph..

...does anyone have experience with the two milwaukee tools I just posted? One milwaukee says it has Viega crimp jaws the other says it has Pex crimp jaws.
    Now, does that just mean each only works with its respected fittings for example the Viega works with only Viega fittings like the one I attached.

OR will they both only work with their respective (sleeve already built in/attached to fitting name branded)fitting AND will work with my own configuration of a press sleeve and fitting like this...to further clarify for example will the Milwaukee with Viega jaws press pre configured Viega PURE FLOW Press system fittings and random press sleeves and fittings lying at the bottom of my tool box BUT just cant use it/ WONT Press preconfigured name branded PEXPress fittings? OR will it only really just be configured to press Viega PURE FLOW pex fittings?
    Someone please help out a lowley plumber with big dreams of making one pex al pex joint before he dies. Forget wiping lead..I want to tell my grandkids i connected pex-al-pex I'm about to leave pex-al -pex land and fire up the B-tank..
  • Charlie from wmass
    NO

cell # 413-841-6726
    HydroNiCKIntplm.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Refer to the IOM with your PEX brand of choice.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • HydroNiCK
    edited May 2019
    PEXPress Pure flow system pre-configured fitting

Random no name brand fitting and press sleeve

ViegaPureFlow pre-configured sleeve fitting

• Ironman
    edited May 2019
    This is the pex-al-pex fitting that most brands (except Viega) use. They use different pressing tongs than copper crimp rings.

Bob Boan
    HydroNiCK
  • Ironman
    This is what they look like after pressing. Notice this is ASTM 1281 tubing.

Bob Boan
    HydroNiCK