Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New install

upstateben
upstateben Member Posts: 33
Installed this boiler last week and am having a problem. I think it's a skimming problem but im posting picks to see if anyone sees anything that's incorrect with my piping. What's happening is when the boiler starts making steam, the water level quickly drops (45 secs or so)to cycle the lwco and the boiler shuts down. After another 45 seconds or so the water level rises right back up and the boiler fires off again. It just continues this short cycling. I believe all the water is being thrown into the header and just draining right back down when the boiler shuts off. Other than skimming which I had done twice I can't figure out what else would cause this. Any ideas, Thanks.

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    How high is the header above the waterline, exactly 24”?
  • upstateben
    29 inches from the waterline to the bottom of the header.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    You say you skimmed twice, for how long each time?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • upstateben
    I probably haven't skimmed it long enough, 45 mins or so the day I finished the install, and for about 30 mins yesterday.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I'd say you have several more hours of skimming to go, then see how it's running.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • upstateben
    I will get over there today and skim some more
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @upstateben

Sounds like a skimming issue to me. Are you putting TSP in 1lb/every 50 gallons of boiler water? I skim using Dan's method works every time

Also what is the other black pipe on the front of the boiler dropping down and going in the front with the ball valve and drip cap?
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    I’m sure it’s gas @EBEBRATT-Ed...this is where a drop header would be clutch. Some say “optional” but I always employ it. It’s much easier to install with the added swing joints and you’re getting the benefit of dryer steam production.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    A skimming issue, for sure.
  • upstateben
    I went back to the job yesterday and drained the boiler water, refilled heated up just until about to steam and skimmed for an hour or so. It is much better, not throwing water into the header anymore. The water line is still a little too bouncy for me. I will return next week and skim again. I usually use drop headers on my steam boilers, but was trying to cut costs down for the landlord who was struggling as it is to pay for this install. Also the ball valve with the drip leg in front is the gas supply.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    You might try a long (2 hrs or so) cold skim, I had a Burnham independence that was giving me tons of trouble with surging, I had skimmed hot 3 times, and then finally got a reasonably warm day and did a really slow cold skim for about 2 hrs and it has worked great since then.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    I'm speaking from not a lot of experience, having only skimmed my own boiler, but I would not drain the boiler before skimming. By doing that, you are depositing the floating stuff on the interior surfaces of the boiler, then hoping it gets picked up again by the rising water before the skim (most of it probably does).

Just skim first to take advantage of the notion that the floaties are all floating and ready to exit the skim port.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    IronmanIntplm.delta T
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    You also might want to correct the exhaust venting. Weil Mclain requires a minimum of 3 foot rise above the draft hood on the LGB models before running over to the chimney. This is part of the boiler design, according to WM engineers, and has nothing to do with the standard venting requirements.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    on any appliance gas or oil you should come off the appliance and rise straight up as much as possible its called making the appliance 'self venting"

The worst thing you can do is 90 off the equipment kills venting.

Of course if it is forced or induced draft you have more leeway
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Agreed, however, the minimum 3 foot rise is required by Weil-Mclain due to the boiler design. It is in the manual and I called to check on this generally overlooked detail and it was confirmed by the tech department and their engineers. This height requirement is going to severely limit where the boiler can be installed. It probably just as well, since, in boilers this size, installing a power burner type boiler with the usual lower vent connection makes sense due to efficiency considerations in space heating usage applications.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.