Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water heating LEAK!

Options
BillAllen
BillAllen Member Posts: 103
Installed 2 zones BB PEX (expander) the gauge dropped during test after 5 minutes but was ok on initial test before walls and ceilings went up. Might have a leak. Here's my question is there a solution I can use in the system that would seal the leak? At 80SPI the pressure dropped but at 20 PSI the gauge did not drop.
I hate to bust into those nice new ceilings. Was wondering if there is a sealer that might get me by.
Thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Why don’t you see if you have a leak first, and if so where. If you did have a leak it’s either from someone driving a nail/screw into the pex-in which case you’re ripping it open, or it’s at one of the fittings.
    steve
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    Is there a sealer? They do exist. They are not permanent solutions to the problem, and really can't be recommended. Find the leak -- and I'm betting on a nail or a screw. Can you isolate sections of piping so at least you don't have to go over the whole thing?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BillAllen
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have had leaks before and always opened up the ceilings or walls and probably will do the same here.
    Funny, at 20PSI no drop in gauge but at higher psi the gauge drops. Well it was worth the conversation. Jamie what sealer are you referring to? Plumber7? Thanks Bill
  • BillAllen
    Options
    That doesn't help. You just advertise your business. Thanks but no help to me.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    @Erin Holohan Haskell another one :disappointed:
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    STEVEusaPA
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    Got it. Thanks, @ethicalpaul
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    ethicalpaul
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    In my experience, base trim is usually the culprit for stuff like this. There is a finish nail somewhere that went through a heating line, and if it is pex, then the pipe will seal around the nail unless the pressure is really high. However, give it 5 or ten years and the nail will rust away and the leak will start again. Any of the stop leak products will be useless in this case, may work in the short term but long term it will be useless. You need to find and fix the leak unfortunately.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,947
    Options
    @BillAllen Sorry to say there is no solution that can be added to fix the "leak". If it were me I would test the area again. Better safe than sorry. For now you have a question hanging over your head as to when this leak will show itself again. The thing is, it will, and probably at the worst time, say on a holiday weekend? So, cover your tracks and give it another test.