Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

80 gallon stone lined Vaughn

EBEBRATT-Ed
EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
I have one of these beasts to get out of a basement. No bulkhead, narrow stairs and then through a kitchen. There about 300#. This was a gas company rental where they used to rent them at $10.00/month. Then they stopped renting and just let the customer have them. Energy pig and way oversized for two people.

Obviously it came down those stairs, the landing at the bottom isn't even big enough it would have to rest on the bottom stair and there's a 90 degree turn at the top.

So I am inclined to cut this thing up which will be a horrible mess. But the stairs are not too enticing either. An electric stair climber isn't going to work.

Anyone ever cut one up. Guess an angle grinder and a cutting disk will do it

Comments

• Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    I’ve never done it. But I know I’d be paying someone else to do it.
    Never stop learning.
  • Jon_blaney
    Jon_blaney Member Posts: 316
    If it was my house, I would just leave it in the corner and let the next guy take care of it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    It's a small condo basement so leaving it isn't an option. I can get the new one in and let the old one sit off to the side so I can let it drain and dry out probably cut the top off and let it sit a few weeks.
    Then the cutting begins I guess
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I just did this about 2 months ago. Small 90 degree landing at the top of the stairs also. Not a stone lined unit but an 80 gallon tank full to the top element with scale, about 400 lbs. Did it the hard way, regular old appliance cart on its back and hung a Pullzall across the doorway at the top to drag it up. Went a lot better than anticipated actually
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 431
    Strap it to a refrigerator hand truck and 2 guys hump it out of there? Tough effort but short duration.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @GroundUp
    door is 90 deg to the stairs so no come along.

I remember trying to get an 80 gallon stone lined out through a bulkhead me and my brother and we couldn't do it and that was 20 years ago when I was a lot younger. We backed up the truck and used a chain.

That bad memory has me thinking twice about this
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Yeah, my door was 90 degrees to the stairs also. The beauty of cables and straps is they're flexible and can make a corner very easily.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    How did it get down there?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    edited March 2019
    Hello, It's going to take leverage or muscle or both. How about getting one of these: http://www.teamstrap.com/Appliance-Carrying-Straps and then going down to the gym and recruiting two of the biggest, baddest people there? B)

Yours, Larry
    ps, And invite Dan so he can write about the adventure!!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited March 2019
    We took a 300 gallon stone lined out of a hospital boiler room.
    It and the boilers were craned in before the roof was installed in 1975.
    Hired a well experienced welder/torch man. With this being upright and other equipment in close proximity we were concerned with damages.
    He torched around the tank to produce 4 "rings" that 3 men and a boy (literally)could carry out. Thankfully boiler room was on grade. Half a day job. BTW, room was well vented.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    @EBEBRATT-Ed . I suppose the room that it is in or has to go through is finished too? Right! Hope not. Carpeting etc.? One big mess.
    Had one bust the stairway on the way out once. Three guys, the hand truck, the water heater and the rice stone that is sometimes left over on the bottom added to the weight. Cracked the stairs.
    Since then its either left behind or busted up into two pieces. Makes a mess but doesn't destroy the stairs or your back.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @Intplm.
    the room it's in is a concrete basement floor so I will drain, disconnect and put some 3/4" pipe under it for rollers and roll it out onto a tarp. Strip jacket and insulation and bag that up.

Cut the top off with a grinder or sawzall and let it sit for a week or two to dry out. Then cut it bust out the concrete, speedy dri it if I need too, haul out the steel and shovel up the rest into buckets.
    Tarp the kitchen floor up stairs

Really looking forward to it
    Intplm.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited March 2019
    It sounds like another job that could really use a buffer tank :)
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    GroundUp
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Do yourself a favor and call Vaughn at 978-462-6683 ask them the best way to cut the old tank into pieces.
    Intplm.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,104
    I did a steam boiler recently and the stairs where shot .We used a pump jack ,we use them for semi heremtic compressorchange outs also .just set it up and used 2 pieces of deep versa bar and made a heavy wood platform to sit on it . Ratcheted up and walked her out the door ,did the reverse to get the Utica 150 down .i believe the company that makes them is vermalet there pretty good disassembly quickly and can work in fairly tight spaces and have roller caster on them ,great little tool to have in the arnesal for removing semi heavy objects we encounter peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Plasma cutters make short work of most any metals, but I'm not sure what problems the stone lining would present.

Angle grinder with a thin cutoff wheel, take plenty of spare wheels:) Circular saw with and abrasive cut off wheel is easier to keep stable.

Disconnect any smoke detectors.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream