Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kitchen Venting Help

Options
Not sure this is an appropriate question for this forum, but I suspect I'll find some good advice here...

Our kitchen range is on an interior wall and has a microwave hood in self-vent mode.... so no exhaust of kitchen fumes/smells. The range is a 30 inch Samsung burning LP.

I'd like to add ventilation, but can't envision an easy way outside for ducting. The easiest is probably down through the floor, and then through floor joist bay about 8 feet to exterior wall.

My main question is what kind of contractor should I seek out for help? It would seem an HVAC co. with ducting capabilities would make sense, but would these folks be interested in such a project? IS there special expertise needed for kitchen venting?

Any thoughts out there?

Thank you.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    First, check your instructions for the range hood. You may find out it's not going to be able to do:
    2 elbows, down 5 ft, 2 or 3 more elbows, then 8 ft out and thru the wall.
    Also, if interior wall is 2x4, you only have 3 1/2" of space, so you will have to go round to square duct, and back to round.
    But doing that may cause problems with cleaning the duct as it will trap grease.
    HVAC person who's ok cutting holes, especially going thru the exterior wall, or a carpenter who can follow directions.

Or go old school with an exhaust fan on the exterior wall, which I wouldn't recommend.

And you'll also have to make sure you provide enough infiltration to make up the air the fan removes from the house so you don't create a negative pressure on the home and start pulling products of combustion down your chimney.
    steve
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
  • WalnutFarmer
    WalnutFarmer Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Thank you both. I will call Fantech customer service to get their input. I had ID'd the range hood as possibly insufficient. Not sure if an inline fan could supplement... Will look into it.