Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Favorite brand of O2 barrier pex for radiant concrete slabs, and why?

Gordy
Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
Just curious as to what people’s preferences are on pex.
Sukhoi29SU

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Uponor.
    Tried and true.
    DZoro
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,977
    edited March 2019
    Yes, Uponor is great and seems to have a tighter bending radius than others. We also use Mr. PEX when the budget is less flexible. Both are PEX A and we use the Uponor fittings and rings.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Uponer or Rahua. Both Pex-A and both have stood the test of time.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Rehau. It’s as good as Uponor but the red looks better in pictures. 😎
    Steve Minnich
    GordyCanuckerdelta T
  • smklin
    smklin Member Posts: 69
    Heatlink
    Canucker
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    I will gather everyone uses expansion fittings verses crimp?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Rehau if we use CreteHeat; Roth PAP if it gets zip tied to the mesh. With under floor plates, Rehau or Roth PERT. Rehau f2080 expansion fittings.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I'll be "that guy" here. Buried in concrete, I almost always use Everhot tubing; really don't see a benefit to pex-A when it's buried in a slab. Walls, ceilings, and overlays get HePex. Underfloor I've really been liking PE-RT from Oil Creek for the flexibilty but otherwise HePex. Don't own an expansion tool and don't want one, the Viega style SS crimp collars and brass fittings have never done me wrong
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    I've used uponor. Started using it a long time ago when it was first introduced into this country. (Was called wirsbo back then). Found it to be the strongest, lasing it into walls and tight spaces. It can stand up to rough handling in the tightest places. The best pipe as far as I have seen.

Oddly I'm not a big fan of the connection process. Expand the pipe.......then how long before you can turn on the water???
    With crimp connections you turn the water on right away.
    And you can crimp uponor. Uponor doesn't endorse crimping there pipe however, as far as I know.?
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Mr.Pex... its red too!
    Uponor. I really like Pex-A for its flexibility.
    Also used Watts PERT and found little difference between pex-a and the pert as far as workability. The orange isn't as cool as the red...
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Tinman
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    It seems most of the people around me are using the Viega PEX ... My guess because Viega has such a big presence with domestic plumbing (they do make a nice manifold) ... and it's the less expensive B.

Who sells Mr. Pex now? Supplyhouse.com not showing tubing? Mr. is a Pex A correct? I think would be my choice for doing my 3/8 job.

For slabs I guess the more flex of the A has little benefit ..
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I've been buying Mr.Pex from a local wholesaler. Last box said "Made in Sweden" on it. I avoid anything which is not made in North America or Europe. If it says the "C" word on it, I pass.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Intplm. said:

I've used uponor. Started using it a long time ago when it was first introduced into this country. (Was called wirsbo back then). Found it to be the strongest, lasing it into walls and tight spaces. It can stand up to rough handling in the tightest places. The best pipe as far as I have seen.

Oddly I'm not a big fan of the connection process. Expand the pipe.......then how long before you can turn on the water???
    With crimp connections you turn the water on right away.
    And you can crimp uponor. Uponor doesn't endorse crimping there pipe however, as far as I know.?

Uponor endorses crimp connections, it's listed on the side of the pipe, if I'm remembering correctly. The expansion connection process doesn't take long before you can pressure it up. I have connections flowing water within 30 seconds of attaching the fittings in most cases.
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
    Gordy
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    @Canucker Thank you for that. I will double check the writing on the pipe. I like uponor a lot. I use it more than any other. I have been crimping there pipe along time now. I will look into the expansion again. Had a few bad experiences a very long time ago when it first came out that put me off the expansion method.