Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Craftsmanship?

Options
2»

Comments

• invermont
    invermont Member Posts: 73
    Options
    I’ve done a little construction back in the day. Never worked with trusses. Those are “engineered”? I see nothing right about them. Or maybe I’m wrong. Stone chimney aside, I’ve never seen 2 by 4 or 2by 6 ceiling joists. No snow load problems there. My chicken coop is built better
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Trusses are strangely engineered animals.
    Depends upon span of lower chord, pitch of roof, webbing spacing, snow load, etc. Some larger ones require a center bearing wall, most don't.
    If laying on their side seem to be flimsy as a tinkertoy, but once in the vertical position are very strong.
    If they are supporting a RTU they might be doubled/sistered at that point.
    They are not supposed to be nailed to any walls below them, but should be allowed so the lower chord can float. This is evidenced by the winter load of snow and temp change that will lift any wall attached to it. Or open the SR joint on the inside corner of wall and ceiling. I have very small cracks appear in the winter and close in the summer.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    > @invermont said:
    > I’ve done a little construction back in the day. Never worked with trusses. Those are “engineered”? I see nothing right about them. Or maybe I’m wrong. Stone chimney aside, I’ve never seen 2 by 4 or 2by 6 ceiling joists. No snow load problems there. My chicken coop is built better

I've got 2x6 joists in the attic but my house is one of those new cheap ones from the 1860s.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    CanuckerSuperTech
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    "Stick built"
    Your 2 x 6's probably rest on a center bearing wall?
    If so the nailing together on that wall keep your walls from pushing out on from the download push of the roof rafters.

My house has 36' width/span self supporting, which is small time.
    Have worked on wood structures with well over 50' clear span with trusses. Doesn't seem like it would work but it has been the norm for years now. 2x4 and 2x6's.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with the trusses in the pictures. They are typical overframe trusses sitting on top of a structural roof. They are not correctly secured or braced and the certainly were not designed for a stone chimney.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Canucker
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

"Stick built"
    Your 2 x 6's probably rest on a center bearing wall?
    If so the nailing together on that wall keep your walls from pushing out on from the download push of the roof rafters.

My house has 36' width/span self supporting, which is small time.
    Have worked on wood structures with well over 50' clear span with trusses. Doesn't seem like it would work but it has been the norm for years now. 2x4 and 2x6's.

No center wall needed, the joists tie the rafters together to form a triangle. That's what keeps the walls from pushing out.

In my specific case, it's more complicated because the rafters are 24" OC and the joists are 16" but it's the same concept. From what I recall, the rafters are notched and sitting on a 2x4 on the flat that is notched into the joists. The bottom of the joists is notched and sitting on top of a 2x4 or 4x4 sitting on top of the wall studs.

I guess in the 1860s such framing was still being developed but the walls are plum and roof hasn't sagged so I can't complain.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    @ChrisJ I would guess your house has a lot of old growth timber in it. Some of that stuff is so dense it's almost like building with steel beams
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,112
    Options
    There are loads of so called craftsman the biggest difference is time , pride and knowledge . A real craftman doesn’t t rush or hurry his price is always higher ,he over thinks his every action and is professional in the quality of his work . The pics of the hvac stuff is disgusting how could anybody be proud of that unless depositing the chk before it bounces .Theres a ton of guys who do this excellent work they grind it out like sausage through the meat grinder .i don’t know if they do service but who and what can u do w that garbage .But I know for sure the kitchen alone is usually 4 to 6 times the cost of a hot air / ac system . From what I see and experience most new homes are all hot air it’s driven by the GC s 2 birds one stone n a great mark up on there part for all they do for every one .if there is a boiler it’s cause there doing hydro air no thought pipe in pipe out zone valve pump what ever anti freeze? The only good thing is the fact that new homes are insulated and sealed very well don t see blower door tests but much lower heat lose so u can squeeze by w crappy bubble wrap on ur ducts in unconditioned spaces even w the recent cold blast 2 months ago for north jersey .i,m bout done but I will say it’s hard to sell quality when competing w licensed contractors who do that but I know u will never teach a old dog new tricks until they get smacked acro$$ the wallet by a savy lawyer n client then they fold cause the business is bad and start up under another .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    There should have been a “girder truss” either side of the chimney chase, (2x6) components.

Or the chimney chase should have been framed independently from the fireplace up.

Those trusses in place going up the hip are indeed not manufactured trusses.
  • invermont
    Options
    Gordy said:

There should have been a “girder truss” either side of the chimney chase, (2x6) components.

Or the chimney chase should have been framed independently from the fireplace up.

Those trusses in place going up the hip are indeed not manufactured trusses.

• invermont
    Options
    I was thinking the same. Trusses on hip don’t look right
  • invermont
    Options
    Canucker said:

@ChrisJ I would guess your house has a lot of old growth timber in it. Some of that stuff is so dense it's almost like building with steel beams</blockquote

My in-laws house was built in 1725. You want to see hard old growth wood? The wide board pine floors are probably harder than some of the oak I’ve thrown down.

Canucker