Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What the Pros Recommend - Best Steam Boiler

I asked this question on another thread but I think making a separate thread would be better. I also looked for this question via the search function but couldn't find anything (surprisingly).

What model/make do you pros recommend for a new natural-gas steam boiler for a home?

Someone here had recommended Weil-McLain or Peerless. Is there any specific steam boilers that any of you pros recommend? (My Burnham boiler started leaking after 6 years.)

Comments

• TeachMeSteam
    TeachMeSteam Member Posts: 128
    Bump
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    edited February 2019
    Those would be the two most recommended brands around here.

However, the brand is nowhere as important as the installer and there are few good steam men. Find a good steam pro and let him install what he prefers. He's 98% of the equation.

Try the contractor locator above.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    TeachMeSteamksd99STEAM DOCTOR
  • TeachMeSteam
    Ironman said:

Those would be the two most recommended brands around here.

However, the brand is nowhere as important as the installer and there are few good steam men. Find a good steam pro and let him install what he prefers. He's 98% of the equation.

Try the contractor locator above.

Already on it. Thanks.

Any particular models on the two brands that you recommend?
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    Peerless 63 series. What’s the total EDR?
    SeanBeansTeachMeSteamNew England SteamWorks
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Peerless 63/64 series The heaviest castings in its class, room for dual Low water cut-offs and decent efficiency for a mid- efficiency boiler. For higher efficiency models in the smaller commercial range we use the WM 80 series that have nice wide castings and a Carlin gas burner. The WM's use plastic gaskets to seal the sections so I have been seeing a 24 year life on boiler that are not under much stress, but only 14 years that are put under stress from dual welded piping supplies ( typical installation in Chicago by some of the biggest Weil McLain installers). The peerless 63/64 use the cast iron push nipple design which tends to be very long lived (old radiator and all old boilers were built this way)
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    TeachMeSteam
  • TeachMeSteam

My home is a small 1500 small cape cod.
    JTrox78
  • TeachMeSteam

Peerless 63/64 series The heaviest castings in its class, room for dual Low water cut-offs and decent efficiency for a mid- efficiency boiler. For higher efficiency models in the smaller commercial range we use the WM 80 series that have nice wide castings and a Carlin gas burner. The WM's use plastic gaskets to seal the sections so I have been seeing a 24 year life on boiler that are not under much stress, but only 14 years that are put under stress from dual welded piping supplies ( typical installation in Chicago by some of the biggest Weil McLain installers). The peerless 63/64 use the cast iron push nipple design which tends to be very long lived (old radiator and all old boilers were built this way)

Thanks so much for the recommendation. I guess I'll try to get a Peerless!
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694
    Definitely do a google search on the price difference between Peerless and the WM/Williamson models of equal size.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722

My home is a small 1500 small cape cod.
    Square footage of the house has nothing to do with the boiler selection. EDR is the size of the radiators.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    > @The Steam Whisperer said:
    > Peerless 63/64 series The heaviest castings in its class, room for dual Low water cut-offs and decent efficiency for a mid- efficiency boiler. For higher efficiency models in the smaller commercial range we use the WM 80 series that have nice wide castings and a Carlin gas burner. The WM's use plastic gaskets to seal the sections so I have been seeing a 24 year life on boiler that are not under much stress, but only 14 years that are put under stress from dual welded piping supplies ( typical installation in Chicago by some of the biggest Weil McLain installers). The peerless 63/64 use the cast iron push nipple design which tends to be very long lived (old radiator and all old boilers were built this way)

Also a big Peerless fan. Not disagreeing but the Peerless is approx 3" taller than the Weil Mclain. Are the sections heavier because the metal is thicker or because they are taller? Few minor drawbacks to the Peerless. Comes with cyclegard. Also had 120v LWCO. Just bit of pain because most guys carry 24v parts on their trucks. Also, the pressure relief valve is on the side of the boiler, making it more likely to clog. Their are more tapping in the peerless(useful for indirect...). Also, Peerless leaves there trappings unplugged (I think). I find (at least in my area) that Weil Mclains are lasting 30+ years. Just a few points to ponder. They are both fine boilers(imo) and you will do fine with either, provided that you have a qualified installer. For what it's worth, I installed a Peerless 63 in my home.
    TeachMeSteam
  • TeachMeSteam

> @The Steam Whisperer said:

> Peerless 63/64 series

Thanks for the great write-up.
  • TeachMeSteam

Definitely do a google search on the price difference between Peerless and the WM/Williamson models of equal size.

The Weil-McLain is about $600 cheaper.

Peerless $4250 vs Weil-McLain $3630.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    edited March 2019
    You still don’t know what size though right @TeachMeSteam?
  • TeachMeSteam

I will. Thanks for the tip.

You still don’t know what size though right @TeachMeSteam?

I'm going to have to calculate it I guess. I forgot how to do so. I guess I have to do some research... =(
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @TeachMeSteam
    right now you need to (or someone needs to) size the new boiler. You do this buy measuring each & every radiator and calculating your EDR load. Then find a boiler that will heat that EDR. The pickup factor will already be added in.

Then you need the right contractor.

Don't rush it your boilers not gushing water. look around