Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacement circulation pump.

Hello all,
I’m here looking for a expierenced/ professional opinion regarding the replacement of a circulation pump.

Recently my home hydronic circulation pump Grundfos up26-99bf has started to sound extremely loud and as if there are quite a few marbles rolling around inside of it.

I’ve contacted a local supplier and they can’t seem to find a direct replacement.
My home is small, a 958 sq/ft slab on grade bungalow. 3 heating zone loops, 1/2 pex is whats in the slab. Water is heated via Bradford white combi unit.

It seems there are a ton of replacement pumps and I’m curious if it is possible for me to replace my pump with a different one if the supplier cannot find a direct replacement. Thanks in advance, let me know if there is any additional information that may be required to spec a proper pump.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    That's because it's a bronze pump, and discontinued. The replacement is a 26-99 stainless steel. Pricey.

You have an open system so you must use a non ferrous pump.

The gravel sound could be air in the system.
    SuperTech
  • Gordy
    That pump can be cross referenced to different brands. Taco Bell and gossett, Armstrong. They are all pretty expensive.

http://www.pumpgroup.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/LLCRC001-_0309_Cross_Reference.pdf
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    How old is the CombiCor? It sounds like a lot of pump for 3 loops? What is the pressure on the systems?

The early Combis had a small diameter coil with a bit of pressure drop, just to make sure that is the correct circulator.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Gordyrick in AlaskaZman
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 233
    You can use the Taco 0011-SF4 as a replacement. Flange to flange dims are 6 1/2". Any questions please call into Taco tech Support 401-942-8000 we are here Mon-Fri 8am-5pm EST.
  • Thomps0990
    Thomps0990 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2019
    Hey guys thanks for the reply’s!

Combi is 6 months old, bought house. Researched the radiant and determined the coil inside was compromised after pressure testing radiant closed loop.
    It kept getting re-pressured from the dom city side @60 psi.
    So we bought a new combi and everything has been well and now heating loop is @ about 12 psi. I was just wondering if I could get away with a less hp pump as they seem to be quite a bit less expensive. I will also try and bleed some air if that could be a problem
  • hot_rod
    I'm guessing for that size home your loops a 300' long. So yes you could go with a much smaller pump. Those new CombiCors tanks have a 1" diameter coil, virtually no pressure drop at the 1.5 or so gpm you are flowing.

Look for a multispeed or a variable speed ECM type. If you like that brand, look for a Grundfos 15-55 Alpha, or many other brands with the equivalent size and performance.

The early CombiCor tanks did require a high head circ like you have they had a long small diameter coil inside.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    rick in Alaska
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    Sorry, but the horsepower of the pump is governed by the resistance of the heating circuit -- not the static pressure. However, to avoid an early death of the new pump, make sure that all the air is out of the system -- and make sure that the pump is pumping away from the expansion tank, if you have one, and the location of the pressure reducing valve -- both of which should be reasonably close to, but not right at, the inlet to the pump.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    SuperTech
  • Thomps0990
    Wow, you guys are awesome here!

I do not have an expansion tank on my system currently, I’ve been told I need one.

So I’ve found a different pump I’m going to link, considerably cheaper and potentially installed simply with similar spacing and flanges etc.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heating-cooling-air/north-bay/new-grundfos-home-heating-circ-pump/1324196186?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

If I can get the go ahed from you guys I think I will go this route.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,140
    > @Thomps0990 said:
    > Wow, you guys are awesome here!
    >
    > I do not have an expansion tank on my system currently, I’ve been told I need one.
    >
    >
    > So I’ve found a different pump I’m going to link, considerably cheaper and potentially installed simply with similar spacing and flanges etc.
    >
    > https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heating-cooling-air/north-bay/new-grundfos-home-heating-circ-pump/1324196186?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social
    >
    > If I can get the go ahed from you guys I think I will go this route.
    >

You cannot use a cast iron pump on an open system. It's against code and just a bad idea. You should consider something like a stainless steel Alpha, you're going to need to spend some money so you might as well get something quality.
    I would research some of the issues with having an open system, there's several drawbacks. I wouldn't want one in my house.

Is it possible for you to post pictures of the boiler and the near boiler piping?
  • Gordy
    edited February 2019
    Actually you should not need a stainless or bronze pump. The heating side is isolated from the domestic side. Sometime when that original bronze circulator was on there it was an open system, or the guy didn't know you didn't need a bronze pump.

Also the x tank should be on the heating side, and IF there is a back flow preventor on your domestic water main coming into the house there should be another x tank on the domestic side.
    Rich_49
  • Thomps0990
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for the replies one again guys!

Like I said before, 100% a closed loop system separate from the domestic side since I replaced the combi heater. Heating side is at 12 psi
    Dom side is 60 psi.

Also currently the only backflip preventer is in front of the fast fill pressure regulator on the return side.
    Any comments on the pump I linked?

Currently no x tank in play but this is a bridge I would like to cross after I sort out my pump issues
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    No time like now to add the expansion tank.
    The Alpha is a nice product.
    I think the Taco Veridian 1816 would be worth a look as well. Taco tech support frequents this site. If it doesn't work you can expect a quick answer to your question.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Gordy
  • hot_rod

Thanks for the replies one again guys!

Like I said before, 100% a closed loop system separate from the domestic side since I replaced the combi heater. Heating side is at 12 psi

Dom side is 60 psi.

Also currently the only backflip preventer is in front of the fast fill pressure regulator on the return side.

Any comments on the pump I linked?

Currently no x tank in play but this is a bridge I would like to cross after I sort out my pump issues

From the info you presented that 15-58 should do the job. The 26-99 or equivalent would be way over sized and cause noise and wear problems, no doubt.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA