Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question on etc and 0-10 Vdc

I see some posts concerning 0 -10 control signal . I have not dug into to deep and most I know could care less but here it goes . Can u use say a ranco etc w a 0 -10 signal out put to control say a variable speed pump or a control valve which would have a fixed set point . Not talking about any type of temp reset just for controlling a set point . I use these instead of aquastat on indirects usually for service and installs and always think what other good can be accomplished w this little device and its control sign hum . Just wondering if anybody out there has looked in other possibilities for applications utilizing its signal output . I always had great luck w etc in refrigeration where they are used a lot but not much on the heating side especially when it’s hydro air .i ve of course seen it used commercial but mostly as on off and not much more . Any thoughts peace and good luck clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I like the Johnson 350 series. Price isn't bad. The A350P you can get a 0-10 volt signal or a 4-20ma signal or both at the same time.

You can use them for heating or cooling direct or reverse acting. They have a minimum position set point if you need it. Sensor can be strapped on or put in air or in water with a well. You can also use the A350P to drive other stage modules that have spdt switches and they have a display module to show temp if you want that.

I have used them to send a signal to drive:
    variable speed drives
    control valves
    damper motors etc

Don't know if this is what your looking for
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Yes, pretty much anything that puts out a 0-10 (or 4-20 mA) signal can control one. I have had good success with the Honeywell T775 series, albeit not for pump control.
    Zman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @ratio

I have installed equipment that came with the MH T775. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I just never liked those controls. Just me I guess.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    edited February 2019
    I like 'em a lot. They're programmable enough to do clever things, yet simple enough that it only takes a few times through the manual to figure them out.

Fer'instance, I used one to stage in a 50 ton condenser & modulate a 1500 MBH burner with room temp reset. I'm pretty sure I could make that system auto changeover too, but I never got the green light from the office.

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I also find the T775 intuitive and simple. I just finished a hot tub project using a modulating zone valve off of a big boiler system.

Regardless of brand, 0-10/4-20 mod controlling is with carefully sized valves is the way to go.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein