Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help with mom's steam heat system.

Options
2»

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I went and looked this system over on Sunday, and it's an interesting system for sure. I typed up a report with pictures that I will send to @EzzyT and then he and the OP can discuss possible work to be done.

The OP and his family are nice people, I enjoyed meeting them. Want to get the info to Ezzy before posting here. Might need to post for some input as the system is IMHO an oddity. Will keep everyone posted.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaulSailahErin Holohan HaskellSuperTech
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    That wye fitting is a fitting that comes with the Burnham header kit. It's for the hartford loop. Can't imagine why someone thought to start the header with it. That said the piping doesn't look that bad really.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    KC, kudos to you for doing that.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    Erin Holohan HaskellIronmanSuperTech
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,310
    Options
    Sailah said:

KC, kudos to you for doing that.

Yes, that was so nice of you.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• KPColeman
    KPColeman Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to KC for stopping by mom's house on Sunday to do a thorough evaluation on the system. Very impressed with his knowledge and sincere interest in understanding the current situation. He and his boys went out of their way to help us out and it is much appreciated as we unfortunately must move forward to deciding on the installation of a new boiler. Thanks to KC and his two young sons who were great assistants for their dad and having great lifelong experiences with their dad. I'm a high school teacher and I see first-hand the positive affect that comes when young boys spend quality time with their dad.
    ethicalpaulErin Holohan HaskellIronmanSuperTech
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Way to go @KC_Jones !
    ethicalpaul
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    KPColeman said:

Just wanted to say thanks to KC for stopping by mom's house on Sunday to do a thorough evaluation on the system. Very impressed with his knowledge and sincere interest in understanding the current situation. He and his boys went out of their way to help us out and it is much appreciated as we unfortunately must move forward to deciding on the installation of a new boiler. Thanks to KC and his two young sons who were great assistants for their dad and having great lifelong experiences with their dad. I'm a high school teacher and I see first-hand the positive affect that comes when young boys spend quality time with their dad.

Thank you. I'm honestly speechless.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    K C’s visit to the site, and his evaluation of the system problems, and recommendations for their solution represent the best principles of this group forum-the desire to help!
    It is so necessary in these troubled times to remember our duties to our fellow man.—NBC
    SuperTech
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Giving your sons an inside track on a great trade is a priceless gift to them. I remember the 2008-9 economic collapse when white collar workers were let go en mass. Even if they choose a different profession they will always have that to fall back on. You have to have the ability to do disparate jobs in these times.

I was working as an engineer in the late 1990's when that job went away, I looked around and saw everybody going into contract work - good money but it can be a hard scramble. I worked as a plant electrician and also did a lot of widely varied special projects that exposed me to a lot of different trades. I took the test for the post office and got hired as a technician repairing the mail sorting machines, the pay wasn't as good but the benefits were MUCH better. I retired at 62 (bad back, knees, and hip) and thanked my lucky stars for taking that job. The small pension I get from them made it possible for me to retire.

Thank you for doing this for them, after all somebody has to pay for my social security.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge