Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Temporary removal of cast iron radiator

Rosales7979
Rosales7979 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2019 in Radiant Heating
Hello everyone, I’m planning on removing a cast iron radiator in my bathroom. This is for three purposes: 1. To have the radiator clean and painted 2. to address the wall behind the radiator and 3. to tile the floor beneath the radiator.
I was wondering if turning off the local radiator valve and then plug in it for a few days will be okay? Would the plug be sufficient to hold off the steam in case the valve malfuctions and would it be safe to run the steam back on for the entire house while plug in? It is a one pipe steam system.
Thank you.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Should work. Odds are that the valve will leak a little, but if you can get a plug to seal in the union, the problem should be minimal (nice opportunity to see if the valve actually works!).

After all, that is the reason for the valve being there -- so that you can work on the radiator with the steam on!

Make sure that the pressure stays low, though -- you don't want that plug to become a missile...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    To best plug the valve discharge you would need to remove the spud from the radiator and install it on the valve with a cap threaded on to the spud. Yikes ! Thats a lot of work.
    Hope that the valve holds. Test it with a few heat cycles when the radiator is removed with the valve closed. If no leaks are found all should be fine. If not, change the valve with a new spud for the radiator. It will be worth the trouble with the remodeling that you are doing.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    If its been there that long remove the valve as well, cap the line.........Get the valve rebuilt and polished!
    Intplm.