Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Roller coaster temps

Options
Gordy
Gordy Member Posts: 9,546

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Indeed. Lovely, just lovely. Trying to keep a farm going with livestock in this stuff is … no words.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Move somewhere warmer. -25°?...Yikes!
    steve
    Intplm.
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    Many years ago one night -38 F or C it is the same, had a wood stove, uninsulated cabin, no electricity, animals to care for, deep snow, problem was water for the birds. Propane would not burn to heat the truck crank-case.
    Kids today just have no idea.
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    -25F Thursday?
    You burner techs better rest up now!
    DZoro
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Water's always the problem, @nibs -- even though we have stock tank heaters, at -20 F they just can't keep up. But the critters -- doesn't matter which kind! -- have to have it (we have two beautiful big Shires, as well as a few other critters, and they have to have about 10 gallons each. Per day. Gets to be a challenge...)

As you say, kids today -- including, sadly, my own grandchildren -- have no idea.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    Options
    Gotta teach them how a rotary phone works.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options

That they know -- The original dial phone which was put in in 1954 when this area went to dial is still hooked up -- and still works.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Roller coaster is right! It is 42F right now near me today. Predicted to go down to 21F tonight, up to 32F tomorrow and then down to 5F tomorrow night. Up to 18F Thursday and down to 8F Thursday night. I know my boiler can heat down to when it is 2.8F outside, and should be good to 0F. (Design temperature around here is 14F.) The rapid changes in outdoor temperatures may be some trouble for my radiant slab at grade to keep up with though. It does not change temperature all that fast.

I just got a robo-call from my water company warning me to insulate my pipes, and leave a trickle running in my pipes. I do have a problem because a couple of pipes are in an outside wall and the contractor did not specifically insulate the pipes. I did have a hot water pipe freeze the night it went down to 2.8F outside. I now leave all the kitchen cabinet doors open to allow kitchen heat to escape into the walls and the problem has not repeated. I did put an electric heating bad on the pipe under the sink, but I do not know how much good that did.
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    Wind is supposed to pick up tonight and give us a wind chill equivalent of -35C. Not a big fan of the comfort level when that happens, boiler will satisfy the thermostat but upstairs will have uncomfortable floors near the walls. One day it will be properly air sealed
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • Gordy
    Options

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options

That they know -- The original dial phone which was put in in 1954 when this area went to dial is still hooked up -- and still works.
    I've been waiting for my chance to share this tidbit and here it is!

Did you folks know that the Model 300 and Model 500 Western Electric phones (the 500 is the ubiquitous desk phone of the 50s, 60s and 70s) were designed by the same guy who designed your favorite thermostat, the Honeywell T87? Plus a whole bunch of other stuff!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Dreyfuss

NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    flat_twinkcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Always seemed to me that when the temps went up and down the service calls go through the roof. Steady temps even if cold wernt so bad
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @ethicalpaul , This retired telco tech finds that little bit of info interesting. The entire list of things he designed are mostly familiar objects.

About the rollercoaster, we had -12 one morning last week. Several degrees colder than the forecast low. Rebounded to 40 a day or two later.
    Currently 8 and falling to -8 to -10 overnite where it will stay for a day or so. 50 and rain forecast for next Monday.
    The -12 left my ODR curve lacking. Was bottomed out at -5. The mrs wasn't too happy about the chilly bathroom in the morning so I've pushed it up a couple degrees and extended it to -20. We'll see how it goes
    ethicalpaul
  • Gordy
    Options
    I found out today the roof top air handlers of the new Mercy hospital are going down. It hasn’t even gotten to the lows yet..........
  • Gordy
    Options
    IF they were smart they would close all window treatments for the next couple days :*

• Jamie Hall
    Options
    I hope you didn't draw the short straw to go and keep them going, @Gordy !
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    Condensate freezing in the looped(trapped) air proving switch tubing.
    I had sags a couple years ago on new RTU's until I found those ice blockages, now the tubes make a N I C E gentle sweep from the switch, to the fan housing.
    Been flawless ever since.
    Aaons
    known to beat dead horses
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    With the rise and fall of temps, in our area, we have already seen a half dozen or so water main breaks. With the drop we expect to see tonight and tomorrow night and about a 40 degree swing on Friday, I'm expecting we will have crews all over town repairing water mains.

If you recall, last winter we had the gas main on our street fill with water and we were all without gas for about 15 hours, until the utility company pumped the water out. The utility company was suppose to line that gas main the summer before and never got to it. A few months later, in the Spring the main filled with water again and the utility was back out to pump it out and they retagged the path of the line again and was suppose to put a liner in that pipe this past summer. Again, they never got around to it. We have had an unusual amount of precipitation over the past month and I'm sure that gas main probably has a good amount of water in it again. We'll see what happens over the next couple days. :#