Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Same Sheetrock, Different Day

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited December 2018 in THE MAIN WALL

Same Sheetrock, Different Day

Find the magic and share it with the young ones. Help them understand that what we do is always important, and lasting, and that it matters. It’s more than just a paycheck. It matters. We touch history. We touch people’s lives.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Clif Heeney_2
    Clif Heeney_2 Member Posts: 53
    Hello Dan! You took me to a WONDERFUL place with this story, as you have for 25 years now. I am GRATEFUL for your friendship and for helping me to to put words and actions to my own life and how I work. I am teaching my own children that It Matters.
    Merry Christmas to you all!
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Thanks, @DanHolohan.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks. Merry Christmas!
    Retired and loving it.
  • aceboiler
    aceboiler Member Posts: 14
    Wow, Great story. Mine too!!!!
  • baerlisnice
    baerlisnice Member Posts: 11
    thank you for that ! sincerely, clark G
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Clark.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Stet
    Stet Member Posts: 37
    Definately shared this one , Dan. Hope you and family had a great Holiday!
  • DanHolohan
    Surrounded by kids and grandkids, Stet. Thanks and same to you!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 393
    Outstanding column, Dan. Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to you and your family!
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • steamfitter
    steamfitter Member Posts: 156
    Thanks Dan!
    A great story! I am a full time apprentice Instructor for Steamfitters Local 638. This article is inspirational to me. I would like to read it to my students, with your permission of course. I worked briefly at both the original One World Trade Center and Tower One (Freedom Tower). I live in NJ and have also visited beautiful Cape May with my two children many years ago.
    I often tell my students about installing their craft as if someone is going to inspect it many years from now. And how that someone might see their signature under each and every pipe joint/connection. Whether it be screwed, brazed, soldered or welded. "They will see your craft, your decisions, your attention to detail," I tell them.
    In our pipe shop and soldering and brazing shop I often post two-word mantras on the walls: "Take Pride" and "Fit Well."
    I often pay tribute to you and your teachings, your writings, your well wishes, inserting excerpts of your words and sayings. But this article deserves more. Not just because it mentions Local 638, but because of the idea that pride in one's work is nearly forgotten. And because I feel that we (baby boomers) have an obligation to keep it alive and pass it down.
    On the date of this article, Dec.11, in 2011, I lost my father. He lived a good long life. Ninety years of age! A WWII and Korean War veteran and a US Post Office auto mechanic. He took pride in his work. He was a craftsman of sorts in a different industry. This article reminds me of him and his ability to work on every task, no matter what the size, as if it was his greatest work. I get my work ethic from him. From folks like you, I get to remember that. So thank you again, Dan!
    Best,
    Manny Ferrer
    CLambrick in Alaska
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Manny. I’d be honored if you read it to them. And thanks to your Dad for raising up a fine son.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DylanVillano
    DylanVillano Member Posts: 1
    Thanks Dan for being the man you are! I trust you are having a Happy Holidays and a grand New Year.
    Kind Regards
    Dylan Villano
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    Surrounded by children and grandkids, Dylan. Couldn’t be better. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • BoilersRUs
    BoilersRUs Member Posts: 2
    Good read Dan. I dislike it when people write nonsense all over the pipes - just because they can, but I too like to leave a strategic personal identifier on work to symbolize my pride of accomplishment.
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • bobthebuilder
    bobthebuilder Member Posts: 1
    Too many of our young guys do not understand this. Great article that I think they should all relate too and read. Thanks for this!
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks for reading me, Bob. I appreciate you!
    Retired and loving it.
  • sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    Thank you, this society needs more this kind of people.
    Docfletcher
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    These thoughts are expressed so well.
    Dan, over the years I have used many of your articles in my former Voc. Ed. class rooms. And with many the apprentice.
    Thank you for making it all work so well.
    I'm certain that this one will be read again and again.
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks for that. It means a lot to me.
    Retired and loving it.
  • BradHotNCold
    BradHotNCold Member Posts: 70
    Dan, thanks. I worked in the property casualty insurance industry for my entire career. What amazed me was the number of young underwriters who did not read or understand the coverages provided in the contracts they were issuing. And what was worse, many did not care to enlighten themselves.
  • DanHolohan
    That’s scary.
    Retired and loving it.
  • ampva200
    ampva200 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks, Dan, for this wonderful story. using a same sheetrock is okay, but fixing the drywall is recommended.
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.