Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vacuum pumps and common sense

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited June 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Vacuum pumps and common sense

Read the full story here

Comments

• Steamguy
    Steamguy Member Posts: 1
    We did a local school in the Boston area with several buildings and a central plant. Traps and vacuum pumps had been neglected for years. After re trapping and installing new lobe style vacuum condensate units, we were able to drop the boiler pressure to 2 PSI and pull 8"Hg of vacuum. Condensate temps were approx 150-160 deg, F, fuel savings were incredible and the buildings are more comfortable then they have been for a long time. This system has been running great now for 10+ years and the school has never been happier.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    An issue in the olden days was motor starters.
    Do they last longer now?
  • DCampbell
    DCampbell Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have information on converting a pre-war, low pressure 2 pipe steam system (15 story residential) to include a vacuum pump (return line) system? My understanding is you don't monkey with the physics and original design of the system and one is asking for trouble. Comments? Where to look to find out more? Thanks!
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    @DCampbell, I should be able to help you with this, but need more information.
    Feel free to call me anytime so we can discuss the details. Phone # is 1-888 853 9963. I will do all I can to help you.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • jumper
    DCampbell said:

Anyone have information on converting a pre-war, low pressure 2 pipe steam system (15 story residential) to include a vacuum pump (return line) system? My understanding is you don't monkey with the physics and original design of the system and one is asking for trouble. Comments? Where to look to find out more? Thanks!

What's there now? How satisfactory is situation presently?
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    I loved those old vacuum return systems that most people did not understand. I think I retired too soon. Big boilers and big steam systems were my dream.
    SeanBeans
  • Dale_3
    Dale_3 Member Posts: 58
    We have a pump almost identical to the one pictured in one of our buildings. Only one pump works and only to pump. Every time I walk in the room I'm reminded of how dumb we have been in watching the system deteriate only because we didn't understand how it was supposed to work. Thanks to this site and Dan's books I think I'm the first person in many years that even begins to understand. Thanks @DanHolohan
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks for your kind words, Dale.
    Retired and loving it.
  • jumper

I loved those old vacuum return systems that most people did not understand. I think I retired too soon. Big boilers and big steam systems were my dream.

I lived your dream sometimes; but after those systems were mutilated the dream was funny only afterwards.

• jmankerr
    jmankerr Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a expert on these old systems that can do some consulting for a management company in Minneapolis. 10 story 200 unit building, built in 1948. Steam heating with duplex vac pump return. Have had all 450 steam traps replaced as well as the vac pump system and still can't get the system working properly. Who is the top expert that can evaluate the system, explain it to us and tell us how to get it working as it should? Many contractors have looked at it but they all have different explanations and recommendations or they just pass on it because it is over their heads.
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    edited October 2019
    @jmankerrr, I would be happy to discuss your system problems on a one-on-one basis. Much can be accomplished remotely with an exchange of information including pictures, drawings, etc. Call me anytime at your convenience and I will do all I can to help.. 1-888 853 9963.

I feel confident I can help you, as could others here on the wall, but we need more information. Can you give us a better description of the problem? What isn't happening that should, or happening that shouldn't?
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    Any thoughts on a small vacuum pump for converting a residential one-pipe steam system to a vacuum? All I seem to find are dental pumps. I suppose they may work as they are made for continuous duty...
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    @Longbeached

Any thoughts on a small vacuum pump for converting a residential one-pipe steam system to a vacuum? All I seem to find are dental pumps. I suppose they may work as they are made for continuous duty...

This thread is 3 years old.

Best to start a new thread with your situation
  • izhadano
    izhadano Member Posts: 90
    In order to avoid condensate accumulation in oil sealed vacuum pumps, you should use dry piston vacuum pump instead
    https://compressorsnow.com/online-store/airtech-hp-dry-piston-vacuum-pumps/
    Run for 8 years without a problem in my vacuum system.