Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problem With my Weil-McLAIN Boiler

Okay so I just bought my house back in the summer, I have a Weil-McLAIN Boiler its a 2014 model in the house and its been doing good, but now its making a weird rattling sound and its really loud, its happened 3 times so far and it looks like when it's doing it the actual burner inside is not fully igniting and it keeps flicking, I have a video of what it's doing, and at the time when it happens I actually covered up the inline fan half way and it stopped doing it

https://youtu.be/5mJWCTUuZ3M

Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    Have you had it cleaned and adjusted, with instruments, this fall? Would be a good idea to get a good technician out there to do that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Bad bearing on the fan? Does the fan blade wobble by hand?
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Need a tech for this. Possible broken fan blade, but could also be other things. Improper combustion, bad venturi, which could be caused by improper venting. Wrong gas pressure, are all possible.
    A good tech with a combustion analyzer for proper set up of your system.
    D
  • ChopperMan49
    ChopperMan49 Member Posts: 3

Have you had it cleaned and adjusted, with instruments, this fall? Would be a good idea to get a good technician out there to do that.

No I Haven't, First house I ever Bought lol, so right now with me living alone I don't have much money to spend on a Tech to come out and work on it, if I need to I will tho, was just hoping to find if anyone have had this problem before and what part it would be so I could buy it and do it myself, I did just take a look inside where the blades are and it is pretty dusty in there,
    Fred said:

Bad bearing on the fan? Does the fan blade wobble by hand?

When I turn it by hand it looks fine, when I turn it about half it does stiffen up, but that every half turn
    DZoro said:

Need a tech for this. Possible broken fan blade, but could also be other things. Improper combustion, bad venturi, which could be caused by improper venting. Wrong gas pressure, are all possible.
    A good tech with a combustion analyzer for proper set up of your system.
    D

I looked at the blades and they do look perfect tho, but I do see what you mean, I might have to get someone it, was just hopping I did not have to, and its not like it does it every time, its 1once in awhile like i mean it can be a week when it does it again ore a month
  • djc2232
    djc2232 Member Posts: 136
    edited January 2019
    Keep us posted. I have the same boiler (ECO 70) going on its second winter with no issues yet. The ECO boiler is pretty darn simplistic so should be easy to diagnose. I know another person not far from me that has an ECO boiler and hasnt had any issues with his. Also not a bad idea to have a couple spare parts on hand. What does the boiler supply? In floor heat? Baseboard? Radiators?

Got to call someone in and have them take a look. Let us know what they find out. ALSO, welcome to the forum. I came here looking for help with my boiler when i had it first installed. Lot of knowledgeable people on here.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    We realise that money can be tight -- it is for most of us, too. But really, the cost of having a qualified tech. come out and clean and tune the boiler is a good investment -- in three ways. First, the boiler will almost certainly run better and cost less to run, particularly if there is something failing. Second, the boiler will last longer for begin cleaned. And last, but not least -- should you have a problem later in the winter and the thing doesn't work at oh dark hundred and 20 below, you will have a tech. who has been there and worked on it to call on for help.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Jellis
  • ChopperMan49
    ChopperMan49 Member Posts: 3
    djc2232 said:

Keep us posted. I have the same boiler (ECO 70) going on its second winter with no issues yet. The ECO boiler is pretty darn simplistic so should be easy to diagnose. I know another person not far from me that has an ECO boiler and hasnt had any issues with his. Also not a bad idea to have a couple spare parts on hand. What does the boiler supply? In floor heat? Baseboard? Radiators?

Got to call someone in and have them take a look. Let us know what they find out. ALSO, welcome to the forum. I came here looking for help with my boiler when i had it first installed. Lot of knowledgeable people on here.

oh okay awesome, it's for my Main floor, I don't have any heating upstairs, hopefully at one point, just found out when doing my electrical that there no insulation through the whole house so I need this thing to keep running or else I'm screwed haha. yeah, it's a nice unit tho, all the parts are easy to take off, Yeah I'm going to call someone in, thanks ill keep you all posted,

We realise that money can be tight -- it is for most of us, too. But really, the cost of having a qualified tech. come out and clean and tune the boiler is a good investment -- in three ways. First, the boiler will almost certainly run better and cost less to run, particularly if there is something failing. Second, the boiler will last longer for begin cleaned. And last, but not least -- should you have a problem later in the winter and the thing doesn't work at oh dark hundred and 20 below, you will have a tech. who has been there and worked on it to call on for help.

yeah, I'm going to call someone in Thanks, I actually was just looking throw some paper and just remember that I have a warranty from my mortgage broker for free for 1 year, so it will only cost me 50$ and that's it, so I'm going to give them a call and see how that works out. Watch ill just keep getting voicemails or something hahah
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Make sure the tech has a flue analyzer with him. If he doesn't call someone else. When he is finished he should leave you his results, CO, o2, CO2.
    D
  • djc2232
    edited January 2019
    Yea I get that too. The contractor that completely re did my heating system and installed my boiler did a fantastic job. Very knowledgeable and been in the trade almost 40 years. Unfortunately I can never get a hold of him now to service my boiler or extend my concentric vent which I need more height from my roof line. Thinking about trying a 3rd contractor this summer to service my boiler. Wasnt too fond of some of the things the last tech did. And he was from a pretty good company in our area.

Still havent found the HVAC place I can really rely on.

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    @djc2232 where are you located? We may be able to recommend a good heating tech for you
    Jean-David Beyer
  • djc2232
    St. Lawrence County. Canton area.
  • djc2232
    Any luck yet with diagnosing the problem??
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    Bueller? Bueller?