Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric Radiant Heat in Walls?

NewbieKelvin
NewbieKelvin Member Posts: 2
edited January 2019 in Radiant Heating
Newbie here, looking for help!

Doing a reno that expands main room (living, kitchen, dining) to about 27' x 27'. There is a forced air heating system, but for various reasons the only output registers (2) are on one side of the room. The other side is the new wall, and I'm considering supplemental heating options for cold nights.

Radiant floor heating is out. (Can't do hydronic on our existing concrete slab easily. Electric radiant systems void the warranty on the flooring options we have with kids [can't do hardwood or tile].)

Looking into putting electric radiant heating *inside* the far wall (the new one). Does anyone have experience with this and can anyone recommend a brand/system that a contractor can easily install for us? Ours doesn't know this stuff that well.

I've looked at hydronic wall systems (Warmboard), but since we have solar panels, it seems like it would make more sense to do electric (and avoid the risk of leaks) rather than hydronic. I can't find a reputable electric system.

If electric is a terrible idea, please advise on the best dummy-proof hydronic systems for in-wall. The space to be covered isn't a huge square footage so I don't need to over-build...maybe two areas: 5'H x 14' and 5'H x 9'?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Electric isn't a terrible idea, and it's been around a long time. I wouldn't have any idea, though, as to brands.

That said... you will be using the heat when it is cold and dark. Your photovoltaic panels will be doing nothing at that point; indeed, unless you have a really really big array, the electric radiant will use more juice than you'll ever produce. This may be an economic problem, depending on your electric rate structure...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Rich_49
  • NewbieKelvin
    NewbieKelvin Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding. I wish there were an easy solution out there.

Because of our time-of-use plan and regional incentives, using electricity at night is encouraged (nets out what we sell back to the grid).
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    ceilings are often the easiest retrofit. Plenty of mat and cable options, Delta Therm, Watts radiant are a few I have used.

Energy rates drive the fuel source options. Hydronic could be run with an electric boiler, if electricity makes the most sense for your application.

I like hydronics as it can be powered by any, or a variety of fuel sources, same efficiency as a direct electric mat or cable.

Most all radiant manufacturers have retro fit panels for pex tube, Roth, Rehau, Uponor, etc. Hydroni panels of course could be wall mount, or wall and ceiling.

A load calc, room by room would assure a successful install.y
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    NewbieKelvin
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    I've installed radiant panels on walls at ceiling height. They go on interior walls. Be careful not to oversize. Better multiple panels with staggered thermostat settings. You want one to stay on as long as practical at minimal power (500 watts).

Bought from a company called Radiant Systems.
    NewbieKelvin